Recipe Servings: 5
The good old rajma. Red kidney beans cooked in tomatoes, onions and spices. An all time favorite in the Punjabi household.
- For the rajma mix:
- 500 gms rajma (red kidney beans)
- Salt for taste
- 1/2 liter water little
- 4-5 pieces chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 whole green chilly
For the tempering:
- 2 Tbsp refined oil
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp cloves
- 2 brown cardamom
- 1 chopped onion
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- A pinch of sugar
- Coriander leaves, little bit
- 1 green chilly, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp curd
- 1/2 lime juice
- Soak the rajma overnight and pressure cook it.
- In a kadhai, mix the cooked rajma, half a litre water, chopped garlic, chopped ginger, whole green chilly and little bit of salt for taste. Let it boil.
- While the rajma is boiling, heat some oil in another pan.
- Add to this cumin seeds, cloves and brown cardamom. Saute, crackle and fry these spices to release their flavors.
- Now add the chopped onion. Saute till the onions turn brownish.
- Add to this the chopped ginger and chopped garlic. Saute them all together.
- Now add the aromatics i.e turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and little salt for taste.
- Turn up the heat and dry roast all the powdered spices. Mix them all well.
- Add a little bit of water to this onion-spice mix to bhuno the spices.
- Let the pan dry up of all the water you added. When the pan screams out for more moisture that's when you add the tomatoes.
- Add the tomatoes. Add a pinch of sugar to balance the acidity, to bring out the flavor of tomatoes and also to aid caramelization of the aromatics.
- Mix the onions, tomatoes and spices well. Add some water to prevent the mix from drying out.
- Now add the green chillies and some coriander leaves.
- Mix well for a minute or two.
- Now remove the pan from the heat and add this spice mix to the kadhai in which the rajma was boiling.
- For some extra flavor add some water in which the rajma is boiling to the spice mix pan. De-glaze all the flavors and then add it back to the kadhai with rajma.
- Turn up the heat.
- Now add butter and curd. Mix them well with the rajma.
- Squeeze half a lime into the rajma.
- Cover it, lower the heat and let the rajma simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Give it a quick stir and serve the rajma hot with rice.
Key Ingredients: kidney beans
, green chillies
, vegetable oil
, cumin seeds
, black cardamom
, red chilli
, coriander powder
, coriander leaves
, lemon juice