Shalgam ki Sabzi
Chunks of turnip cooked in simple everyday flavors.
- 500 gm turnips - peeled chopped and washed
- 2 large onion chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp each of grated garlic and ginger
- 2 green chillies - chopped
- 1 tsp each of sugar, cumin powder and coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp butter / oil
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish.
- Heat the butter / oil in a pressure cooker till it is medium hot.
- Add the chopped green chillies, grated ginger and garlic.
- Fry briefly.
- Add the chopped onions and saute on medium heat for 3 minutes or till the onions are lightly browned.
- Now, add the chopped tomatoes, salt, and the turmeric, cumin and coriander powders.
- Stir fry on medium / low heat for 3 minutes or till the fat leaves the sides of the cooker.
- Add the chopped turnips and mix.
- Add the water and stir well.
- Close the cooker and bring to maximum pressure on high heat.
- Now, reduce the heat and cook on low level for about 15 minutes.
- Open the cooker after all the steam has escaped. Add the sugar and very lightly mash the cooked turnips.
- Keep on the flame for a few minutes to dry out excess water if any.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
Key Ingredients: turnip
, green chillies
, cumin seeds
, coriander powder
, vegetable oil
, coriander leaves