Spiced Banana Curry
Recipe Servings: 4
Fried chunks of banana tossed with coconut and jaggery. Tempered with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Served with plain steamed rice.
- 150 ml coconut oil
- 5 dried red chillies
- 2 large raw bananas - peeled and chunked
- 100 gm freshly grated coconut
- 3 green chillies
- 1 tsp grated jaggery
- 200 ml yoghurt
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Fried coconut strips
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and fry the red chillies for 5 seconds.
- Fry bananas in remaining hot oil until colored. Drain.
- Grind coconut and green chillies to a fine paste.
- Mix with jaggery and salt.
- Cook in 1 tbsp chilli oil for 5 minutes over a moderate heat.
- Add yoghurt to the pan. Stir and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the banana pieces to the pan and heat through.
- In a separate pan, heat 2 tsp oil.
- Toss in curry leaves, mustard and cumin seeds. Fry lightly and pour over banana curry.
- Garnish and serve with boiled rice.