Spinach Soup with Spicy Chickpeas
Chef Nikhil Chib and his better half Natasha cook up the good old spinach soup but with a twist, some spicy chickpeas thrown in there.
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 cup chickpeas, half cooked and soaked in water
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- A pinch of cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilly powder
- A dash of turmeric
- Black and white sesame seeds
- Red chilly powder
- Sesame oil
- In a pan heat the butter and add the onions and shallots to it. Add the spices and mix well.
- Once it browns a bit add the chickpeas.
- Reserve thew water in which the chickpeas were soaked.
- Saute the chickpeas for a while.
- When it becomes nice and moist, add the the reserved chickpea water.
- Then add the spinach leaves to this and let it cook for about two minutes.
- Spinach cooks really fast.
- Now put the spinach and chickpea pan into another bowl full of icy water.
- Let it cool down for a couple of minutes.
- Once it comes down to room temperature, add it to the blender and blend it well.
- Dabble a little cream and black sesame seeds for garnish.
Key Ingredients: spinach
, cumin seeds
, cumin powder, garlic
, sesame seeds
, red chilli
, sesame oil