Recipe Servings: 3
Explore this Burmese delicacy bursting with authentic flavours. Khow suey is a one-pot meal with noodles and veggies cooked in coconut milk and garnished with peanuts and fried garlic.
- 4-5 baby corn, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 medium cauliflower, separated into florets
- 1/4 medium broccoli, separated into florets
- 2 medium yellow zucchinis, sliced and halved with skin
- 5-6 french beans, sliced diagonally
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 inches ginger, finely chopped
- 2 inch stalk lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp gram flour
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Crushed black peppercorns to taste
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts
- 100 gm noodles
- 100 gm glass noodles, boiled
- 1/2 cup diced tofu
- 2 Tbsp browned onions
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fried garlic
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp chilli oil
- Few fresh coriander sprigs for topping
How to Make Vegetarian Khow Suey
- Heat sufficient water in a deep non-stick pan. Add noodles and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain and transfer into a bowl.
- Grind together onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and turmeric powder into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add ground paste and saute well.
- Add gram flour, mix well and saute for 5-6 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water, mix and cook further, whisk well.
- Add coconut milk and whisk.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water and mix well.
- Add salt, sugar and crushed peppercorns and mix well, bring to a boil.
- Add babycorn, carrot, cauliflower, mix well and boil.
- Add broccoli, zucchini and beans, mix well and boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Coarsely crush peanuts in a mortar with a pestle.
- Place boiled noodles and glass noodles in a serving bowl.
- Add tofu, browned onions and fried garlic.
- Sprinkle chilli flakes and drizzle lemon juice on top.
- Add crushed peanuts and toss gently to mix.
- Top with cooked vegetables and pour the soup over.
- Garnish with fried garlic and browned onions. Drizzle some chilli oil and finish with fresh coriander leaves.
Key Ingredients: baby corn
, vegetable oil
, french beans
, gram flour
, coconut milk
, black pepper
, noodles, glass noodles, tofu
, lemon juice