Red wine is one of the most popular alcoholic drinks around. Humans have been consuming the ruby red vino since time immemorial. The drink, which has been an instrument of leisure and relaxation for wine lovers, also comes with a number of health benefits. Some of the most well-known benefits of the red wine are credited to the presence of antioxidants in the drink. Apart from being great for the skin, red wine has also been known to be heart healthy and one of the healthiest drinks to partake in, while on a weight loss diet. This is because it has very less calories and the antioxidants and tannins present in the drink fight inflammation in the body. A number of scientific studies have vouched for the health and beauty benefits of that occasional glass of red wine. It is also used in a number of luxury facials and spa treatments around the world.
What makes it so unique, is it effective at all or just another fad. Can this be included in your beauty treatment, what do experts have to say about the beauty treatment, let's find out.
(Also Read:How To Drink Red Wine?)
Red Wine For Skin: Red Wine Has Been Known To Be Heart Healthy
However, its most important and direct benefits are for the skin. Red wine is believed to be one of the best anti-ageing drinks, not only because it may reduce risks of heart diseases, strokes and reverse cell damage, but also because it may have long-lasting effects on your skin and hair health.
Here are some purported health benefits of red wine for your skin:
- Helps fight skin ageing: Red wine may just help you age better. The presence of antioxidants like flavonoid, resveratrol and tannins fight skin ageing by restoring collagen and elastic fibres, reveals Anshul Jaibharat, a Delhi-based nutritionist.
- Helps you catch some beauty sleep: Red wine may also help you sleep better, due to the presence of melatonin, the hormone which regulates our sleep cycles.
- Improves complexion: Red wine may also help you get an even skin tone and regain that elusive glow on your face, which often gets lost due to excessive stress and pollution.
- Fights acne: Red wine also has antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties and can help fight acne breakouts. Applying red wine topically on your face can clear pores and hence, prevent acne.
(Also Read:12 Surprising Red Wine Benefits: Will a Glass of Vino a Day, Actually Keep The Doctor Away?)
Red Wine For Skin: Red wine may help you age better | Photo credit : I stock
How To Do Red Wine Facial At Home:
A number of salons and spas across the world offer wine facial services and these often tend to be quite expensive. You can re-create the effects of these expensive facials at home, at a relatively lower cost. All you need is a bottle of a good quality red wine and some basic ingredients which are readily available in almost every kitchen. Also, the results of the facial depend on the quality of the wine used, as different types of red wine, have different types and levels of antioxidants. For example, Pinot Noirs have the highest levels of resveratrol. Meanwhile, Shiraz, Cabernets and Merlots are rich in the antioxidant procyanidin. Red wine can be used in all the steps of a facial; right from cleansing, toning, scrubbing and even for normal facial massages.
- For Cleansing: Start out by cleaning your face with a clean, damp cloth. Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice with three or four tablespoons of red wine. Dip a clean cotton ball into this mixture and apply it all over your face. Gently massage the cleansing lotion on your face and after some time wash it off with a clean tissue paper.
- For Scrubbing: You can use red wine to create an exfoliating paste as well. Mix the wine with a good natural exfoliator, including ground rice, coffee, sugar, etc. Mix a few tablespoons of red wine with your exfoliator and mix it to make a rough paste. Apply this paste in circular motions to remove dirt and dead skin cells.
- For Massaging: Take some aloe vera gel or rose water, a few drops of any essential oil of your choice and a tablespoon of red wine. Mix all three ingredients properly and massage it on your face gently. Use your fingertips to massage the paste onto your face and make sure you focus on all areas of the face including forehead, chin and under eyes. This will help improve blood circulation on the face and will also let your whole face benefit from it. Massage your face for at least 10 minutes and then wipe the paste off.
- For Red Wine Face Pack: Red wine face pack can be made using two tablespoons; each of red wine and yogurt and one tablespoon of honey. Mix all the ingredients, apply it on your face and leave it on for 15 minutes. Wash it off with a damp cloth and notice the difference yourself.
So there you have it! You can use any of these steps independently or in combination, to improve the quality of your facial skin. If your skin is in any manner allergic to wine, or if you see anything unnatural happening to your skin. It is advisable to stop and consult a dermatologist or skin expert.
(This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.)