Brown rice is a whole grain with the outer bran layer and germ intact
It has a higher fiber content than regular white rice
It is not subjected to intense processing and polishing
It cannot be ignored that brown rice is healthier, full of nutrition and tastes delicious. It is a whole grain which has the outer bran layer and germ intact and therefore, contains a higher amount of fiber, minerals and vitamins. Also, it is not subjected to intense processing like white, polished rice and so, is more wholesome and nutritious.
The relationship between our meals and white rice is strong. Our meal is often incomplete without pulao or some form of rice. As palatable as it tastes, we are often oblivious to the large amount of calories and unwanted carbohydrates that white rice comes with. Keeping this min mind, switching to brown rice seems like a much healthier option instead to ditching rice totally. Here are 11 unknown health benefits of brown rice.
1. Diabetes: Studies suggest that brown rice is rich in phytic acid, fiber, and essential polyphenols. It is a complex carbohydrate that helps in the slower release of sugars, hence, keeping us healthy.
2. Bone Health: Brown rice helps in maintaining the health of our bones. It is rich in magnesium and calcium that help in keeping the bones strong and healthy. 3. Cardiovascular Health: Brown rice helps in preventing the blockage of arteries. It also contains selenium which is good for your heart, It helps in reducing the risk of cardiac disorders such as hypertension and vascular diseases.
4. Digestive Health: With the high fiber content, it regulates the bowel function and prevents the absorption of acid and thus, making the process of digestion easy.
5. Weight Management: It includes manganese and phosphorus, which help to synthesize your body fats and control obesity. Its high fiber content keeps you full for longer and thus, prevents unwanted cravings.
6. Reduces the Risk of Metabolic Syndrome: Recent studies suggest that eating cereals high in fiber and low in glycemic content such as brown rice reduce the risk of developing metabolic syndrome.
7. Reduces Cholesterol: The oil that is present in brown rice is known to reduce the levels of LDL cholesterol to a large extent. This makes brown rice one of the healthiest grains in our diet. The fiber in brown rice binds to the cholesterol in the digestive system and helps in its excretion.
8. Boosts Energy: Brown rice contains magnesium that helps in boosting our energy. It converts the carbohydrates and proteins into energy, which keeps you active for a long period of time.
Brown rice boosts your energy levels as it is rich in magnesium. Photo Credit: Istock
9. Prevention of Gallstones: Whole grains like brown rice that are high in insoluble fiber can prevent the risk of developing gallstones. A study, published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology, shows that women who consumed more fiber had a 13% lower risk of developing gallstones compared to women consuming the fewest fiber-rich foods.
CommentsAccording to Dr. Anju Sood, a Bangalore-based Nutritionist, "Brown Rice is a low glycemic index food. This suggests that the liberation of sugar from the brown rice will not be high after digestion. If the sugars are released slowly, they will be absorbed and eliminated better without causing sudden spikes in your blood sugar levels. On the contrary, white rice is a high glycemic index food and the sugar content released is much higher which leads to easy fat accumulation." Switching to healthier whole grains can help you maintain a long-lasting healthy lifestyle with ease.