Indians like to give a desi spin to various delicacies by adding masalas and vegetables. Simply put, it brings them closer to international cuisine. Also, to avoid monotony with cooking, it's a good idea to keep exploring and experimenting in the kitchen. Are you a fan of tacos — the Mexican delicacy made out of small hand-sized tortillas with a filling inside? Typically, the filling consists of regular vegetables, chicken, or any other non-vegetarian food item. However, if you are looking for a Taco with a twist, chef Saransh Goila has created something for you.
On Instagram, he shared a recipe where he used a jackfruit (kathal) preparation as filling for mini lachha parathas (Tacos). He called his creation “KACO - Kathal ka Taco”. He added that it was a perfect desi snack.
1) Kathal (jackfruit) – 300 grams (peeled and cubed)
2) Turmeric – 1 tablespoon
3) Water - 1.5 cups
4) Urad dal – 1 tablespoon
5) Whole coriander seeds – 1 tablespoon
6) Whole red chillies – 6
7) Fresh coconut – 2 tablespoons
8) Jaggery powder – 1 tablespoon
9) Red chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
10) Tamarind paste – 45 grams
11) Vegetable oil – 1 tablespoon
12) Mustard seeds – 1 tablespoon
13) Curry leaves – Handful
14) Mini lachha parathas
Salt to taste
Procedure to make Kathal Taco:
1) First, smear the jackfruit (peeled and cubed) with some turmeric and water and pressure cook it till 3 whistles.
2) Coat the jackfruit with a Konkani-style masala. For the masala, take a pan and dry roast urad dal, whole coriander seeds, and whole chillies. Now, blend the roast spices with fresh coconut, jaggery powder, red chilli powder and tamarind paste.
3) Add the paste (masala) to the cooked kathal and mix well.
4) Now, take a separate pan, heat some oil and add mustard seeds, followed by curry leaves.
5) Add the marinated kathal mixture and mix well. After it's cooked, add some salt as per your taste. Splash some water and let it cook for about 10 minutes.
6) Now, get ready with your mini lachha parathas. Assemble the cooked jackfruit curry onto the parathas with some grated radish and you are good to go.
Watch the video here:
Do try out this taco twist recipe and let us know in the comments how it turned out.