One of our favourite festivals of all time Holi is right around the corner. The festival of colours Holi is an ancient Indian festival that is celebrated during the spring season. More often than not Holi falls in the month of March, which is why, as soon as the month starts markets are filled with all things festive. You cannot take a stroll down the market without bumping into at least 15 different colours of gulaal and 25 types of water guns. Gujiya is another 'Holi' staple that you must be seeing around yourself a lot. The trick is to have as many of them as possible if you don't wish to regret them later. Gujiya is a fried dumpling; the dessert is stuffed with a decadent filling of khoya, coconut, mawa, sugar syrup and dry fruits. You can get super creative with fillings and try a gamut of different things like chocolate or cream. But if you want to keep things traditional; here is a special mawa gujiya recipe by food vlogger and YouTuber Parul that you can try.
(Also Read: Holi 2022: Give Your Classic Gujiya A Makeover With These 5 Unique Recipes)
Holi 2022: Halwai-Style Mawa Gujiya Recipe
Step-by-step recipe of Mawa Gujiya:
1. To make the dough take maida and salt. Mix them together and make a cavity in the centre.
2. Add melted ghee in the centre. Mix well until maida begins to hold shape. Add water and make a firm dough.
3. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes. Cover the dough with a soft, damp cloth.
4. Heat ghee of low flame. Add chopped almonds, cashews and pista. Roast the nuts together.
5. Add some desiccated coconut for a fresh flavour, followed by raisins. Sautee them together. Turn off the gas and transfer the dry fruits onto a plate.
6. Roast mawa on low medium flame Cook till it turns golden brown. Transfer mawa in a bowl and let it cool. Crumble it using hands.
7. Add dry fruits to your mawa, some saffron strands (optional), cardamom powder, powdered sugar. Do not add sugar to the hot mixture. Mix everything well using your hands.
8. Now for chashni, grease the pan with ghee. Heat sugar and water on medium-high flame. You need more chashni since you would be dipping your gujiyas in them. Let the sugar melt completely. You can also add saffron strands in your chashni along with cardamom pods. Cook till chashni has a sticky consistency.
9. Now go back to your dough. Pull out small round balls, roll them out, but make sure the thickness is a little more than puri.
10. Take the puri and put some water around the edges of the puri Fill the puri with your mawa mixture and shape them as gujiyas.
11. Fry them until golden brown, and dip them in chashni.
(Also Read: 11 Best Holi Recipes: Gujiya To Thandai, These Holi Recipes Are Sure To Make You Drool)
Watch the full recipe video of Halwai-Style Mawa Gujiya here:
(Also Read: Holi 2022: When Is Holi 2022? Date, Time And 5 Classic Recipes To Celebrate The Festival Of Colours)
Let us know if you liked this Holi-special gujiya recipe in the comment section below.
Happy Holi 2022!