- 20-30 pearl onions or shallots (peeled and cut in desired size)
- 1 cup water
- 5 to 7 tablespoons cider or any other light coloured vinegar
- 2 pinches of salt; sugar (as per taste)
- Spices, if you wish (like black pepper, bay leaf and cinnamon)
- Slice and peel the onions completely and place them in a non-reactive jar or a bowl.
- Now, take a pan, add one cup water and your spices in it. Simmer them for a while.
- Add salt and sugar (as per taste) to water and mix them well. Add vinegar.
- Now, pour the liquid over onions in the jar/bowl. Make sure the onions are covered properly and the liquid comes up half an inch above the level of the onions.
- The longer they soak, the deeper the colour of the liquid gets.
- Marinate onions for 3 to 5 hours. And, your picked onions are ready to be savoured.
It is important to know that the onions can only be kept in the refrigerator for 2 days after they have been drained.Preparation Time: 15 minutesCooking Time: 3-5 hoursShelf Live: 2 daysSo, now you have the easiest recipe of your favourite pickled onions. Make your own sirke wali pyaz at home without having to wait for your food delivery boy to get you its extra packets.
About Shubham BhatnagarYou can often find Shubham at a small authentic Chinese or Italian restaurant sampling exotic foods and sipping a glass of wine, but he will wolf down a plate of piping hot samosas with equal gusto. However, his love for homemade food trumps all.