This is that time of the year again. Our quest for all things chilled and refreshing is never-ending and opening your freezer to an empty ice tray is a catastrophe. We all know that it is all set to get hotter in the coming months and there is nothing much you can do about it. You can, however, sit at home and treat yourself with some homemade coolers. Something as traditional and heartwarming as Shikanji? Shikanji is a lemon-based drink made with a bunch of herbs and cooling spices. Unlike nimbu pani, shikanji is not entirely sweet, making it ideal for people who do not like their summer drinks laden with sugar.
(Also Read: 10 Amazing Summer Foods for Kids to Keep Them Energetic)
In this recipe video, food vlogger Parul shows us how to make Shikanji in four styles. While the first is the regular water-based shikanji, the other three are made with soda water, watermelon juice and mango juice. What binds them together is the incredible Shikanji masala the recipe of which is also shared in the video right at the start.
(Also Read: 7 Best Summer Drinks Recipes | Refreshing Summer Drinks Recipes)
Here is Shikanji masala recipe:
1. Heat a pan, lower the flame.
2. Add jeera or cumin seeds and roast until aromatic. Switch off the gas.
3. Transfer the jeera on to a plate, and add some unroasted cumin seeds followed by black pepper.
4. Transfer the jeera and black pepper into a grinding jar, add green cardamom, black salt, salt, dry ginger powder. Grind and make a fine powder.
5. Your masala is ready, store in an air-tight container for a year.
6. Put a saucepan on heat. Add water and sugar in equal parts. Let the sugar melt. Turn off the flame and let it cool. Your sugar syrup is ready, you can store it in fridge for 20 minutes.
With the help of this concoction you would never face trouble mixing sugar in your shikanji.
How To Make Shikanji, Water-Based and Soda-Based, At Home:
1. Grind some mint leaves in a mortar and pestle.
2. Take two glasses.
3. Add lemon juice, sugar syrup you just prepared, shikanji masala, followed by ice cubes, mint leaves.
4. In one glass add water, top it off with a lemon wedge and mint leaf.
5. In another glass add soda water, mix it well. Top it off with mint leaf and lemon wedge.
Watermelon Shikanji Recipe:
1. Grind watermelon cubes.
2. Take a glass, add sugar syrup, ice cubes, shikanji masala, and watermelon juice. Mix well.
3. Add soaked sabja seeds garnish with mint leaf.
Mango Shikanji Recipe:
1. Take a glass, add lemon juice, followed by sugar syrup, shikanji masala powder and ice cubes.
2. Add mango juice. Mix well. Garnish with mint leaves and lemon wedge.
Watch recipe video of Immunity-Boosting Shikanji Masala here:
About Sushmita SenguptaSharing a strong penchant for food, Sushmita loves all things good, cheesy and greasy. Her other favourite pastime activities other than discussing food includes, reading, watching movies and binge-watching TV shows.