Skin is an important organ of our body and eating for your skin can bring about a naturally nourished look that no amount of makeup and chemicals can achieve. Filling up our plates with foods rich in fibre and water content is especially beneficial. Both men and women can consume foods that help keep their skin happy and well looked after.
Here is a list of 42 foods that both men and women must include in their diet for skin that looks and feels good:
1. Tomatoes: Besides adding magic to cooking, tomatoes can be used in various ways to intensify your skin care. It is said to be a panacea of skin. Having tomatoes and its products will give you a beautiful looking and healthy skin. It is rich in vitamin C which boosts up skin health.
2. Kale: It is a rich source of zeaxanthin and lutein nutrients that counteract the radicals produced by UV lights. Kale is rich in Vitamin A and C and hence aids in skin firming too.
3. Olive oil: The fats present in olive oil are usually monounsaturated fatty acids which help in enhancing and bringing about a youthful glow to your skin. Polyphenols, an antioxidant present in olive oil also reduces the damage free radicals.
The fats present in olive oil are usually monounsaturated fatty acids
4. Dark Chocolate: It has antioxidant properties which help in keeping the skin hydrated and enhances blood circulation. Rich flavanol, another antioxidant, reduces skin roughness when consumed regularly. The result? Smooth and soft skin!
5. Chickpeas: They are high in protein and fiber and are considered low on glycemic index. These properties help prevent acne and hence leave your skin feeling nourished.
6. Carrots: Carrot gives you a natural glow on the skin, thanks to all the beta carotene it contains. Carrots make for a healthy snack especially during the winter months when the lack of sunlight could make some people's skin dull and dry.
7. Sunflower Seeds: They are a rich source of vitamin E which helps in keeping the skin acne-free. Vitamin E improves our immune function and helps the body to fight against the inflammation which causes acne.
They are a rich source of vitamin E which helps in keeping the skin acne-free.
8. Red Wine: It is a rich source of resveratrol which is an antioxidant and is known to be really good for skin when taken in controlled quantities. It is a powerhouse of antioxidants like flavonoid, resveratrol and tannin which help fight ageing, clears the pores and also known to prevent future breakouts.
9. Pumpkin: Having a baked pumpkin is a rich source of beta carotene which body converts to vitamin A; this further enhances the growth of skin cells.
10. Kiwi: Kiwi is a rich source of vitamin C, which encourages the collagen synthesis known to tighten the skin and smoothen the face lines. It also keeps the body hydrated.
11. Coffee: Coffee plays a major role in modulating cell re-growth, which helps in hydrating the skin and enhances its elasticity as well.
12. Eggs: Egg whites are a rich source of albumin and proteins which have skin tightening properties and aids wrinkle-free skin. Eggs are really good for oily skin as they have the ability to tighten the pores too.
Eggs are really good for oily skin as they have the ability to tighten the pores too.
13. Yellow Bell Peppers: Consuming green and yellow vegetables are quite beneficial for the skin, because of their antioxidant-rich properties which helps smoothen fine lines.
14. Almond Milk: It is a powerhouse of nutrients like iron, protein, calcium and B-Vitamins. These nutrients are known to be very good for a healthy skin.
15. Rosemary: Rosemary too is another rich source of antioxidants and it protects the skin from harmful UV rays.
16. Orange Peel: Orange peel is extremely beneficial for skin. The compound found in the peel, also known as limonene, prevents UV rays from damaging the skin and keeps skin healthy and hydrated.
Prevents UV rays from damaging the skin and keeps skin healthy and hydrated.
17. Green Tea: People who drink more green tea have smooth and clearer skin, some would say! The antioxidants present in it enhances the blood circulation and oxygen to skin which then provides us with the essential nutrients. Did we mention how having 2 cups of green tea a day would also increase you water intake for the day? We just did.
18. Oats: Oatmeal is known to remove excess oil and dirt from the body and face. It has anti-inflammatory properties which can give you an itch-free skin. A quick scrub with oatmeal and honey is a great DIY face treatment too.
19. Avocados: They are rich in healthy fats and these fats can be quite beneficial for your body and skin as it keeps your skin moisturized and healthy.
20. Fatty Fish: Herring, mackerel and salmon can help you get a healthy skin as they are a rich source of omega 3 which keeps the skin nourished.
21. Sweet potatoes: Its antioxidants properties prevents UV rays from damaging the skin.
Antioxidants properties prevents UV ray22. Broccoli:
It's a powerhouse of various vitamins like Vitamin A,C and zinc which are essential for a healthy skin. It has lutein which protects skin from the overall damage and leaves a healthy and nourished skin.
23. Soy: It has isoflavones which prevents estrogen in the body. It has many health and skin benefits. It enhances your skin dryness and enhances collagen, which helps keep our skin smooth and strong
24. Turmeric: This Indian spice protects and improves the quality of the skin in many ways. Its active antioxidant properties are said to be most effective for a healthier skin. It helps remove suntan and prevents acne.
25. Papaya: Papaya can provide you with many perks. Using papaya on your skin can make your skin supple and smooth. Its enzymes have the ability to remove all the dry dead skin. Papaya is also often recommended to people suffering from constipation; as they say a clean gut usually leads to clearer skin.
26. Spinach Its enzymes have the ability to remove all the dry dead skin
: It has essential vitamins like Vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin K. Needless to say, this vegetable plays an important role in skincare. It aids in clearing the acne and thus maintains a healthy skin.
27. Blueberries: Its antioxidant-rich properties helps the body in fighting against cell damage. It also enhances our immune system and reduces inflammation in the skin.
28. Coconut oil: Coconut oil has various benefits when it comes to skin. Its anti-bacterial properties aids in treating acne and any other type of skin infection.
29. Whole Wheat Bread: Nourishing your skin with wheat and other whole grains products can reduce acne. Since whole grain items are low on glycemic index, they maintain a balanced insulin in the body.Whole grain items are low on glycemic index, they maintain a balanced insulin in the body.30. Flaxseeds:
It reduces inflammatory skin and enhances skin hydration. They have omega 3 fatty acids which can help delay signs of aging.
31. Oysters: Oysters are a rich source of trace mineral, zinc. This mineral also acts as an antioxidant and protects our skin cells, helps increase collagen and firms our skin structure.
32. Watermelon: It has a high concentration of water in it, which aids in reducing the puffiness around the eyes and is said to provide essential minerals to the skin.
33. Milk: Milk is an excellent source of vitamin D, which helps in keeping the skin soft and supple. Applying milk directly on to the skin can lighten dark spots, reduces redness and heals sunburns too.Applying milk directly on to the skin can lighten dark spots, reduces redness and heals sunburns too.34. Berries
: Fruits like raspberries and cherries are a great source of antioxidants which shield our skin from free radicals.
35. Yogurt: Yogurt is a rich source of vitamin B and lactic acid, which dissolves the dead skin cells. It helps in minimizing fine lines and wrinkles.
36. Pomegranates: It has polyphenols which fight free radicals in the body and help enhance the blood flow, giving a healthy glow to skin.
37. Kidney Beans: It is rich in proteins, zinc and fibers and can do wonders to your skin. It has high healing properties which fights against acne.38. Cilantro:
Cilantro encourages detoxification, leading to fewer cases of breakouts and ultimately leaves your skin clear and clean.
39. Celery: Celery is high in fiber and water content. It moisturizes the skin and makes it plump, youthful and hydrated.
40. Grapes: Grapes and its seeds have powerful natural properties which help the skin fight inflammations. It also controls eczema and other skin infections.
It also controls eczema and other skin infections.
41. Peppermint: It is known for its calming properties. It aids in digestion, relieves stress, treats acne and clears skin pores as well.
42. Raw Cacao Powder: Raw cacao helps in improving skin texture. It is high in flavanols, which are phytonutrients that enhance skin elasticity and protect it from UV exposure.
Start adding these food to your daily diet regime for a healthy looking skin. But that's not all, not only can you munch on these delightful foods, but they also make for natural ingredients for homemade masks and face packs. Try a few today!
The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.
Having a balanced and nutrition filled diet is crucial for health. An unhealthy diet can affect our metabolism causing weight gain, among other health issues. We all know how what we consume can directly affect our skin.