Kashmiri cuisine has never failed to pique the interest of foodies all over the country. This cuisine stands out in the crowd due to its rich and exotic flavours. Most people, however, believe that this cuisine is all about meaty delicacies. Yes, Kashmiri cuisine is dominated by mutton dishes, but there are some vegetarian options as well. Paneer Chaman, Dum Aloo, and Lauki Yakhni are a few vegetarian options that are equally popular. Adding to the list, we have one more interesting recipe that everyone enjoys. It's known as Kashmiri chana dal. You've probably tried chana dal in a variety of ways, but this particular variation is special. Once you give it a try at home, you'll make it repeatedly.
Is chana dal good for your health?
Yes, because of its high protein content, chana dal is an excellent choice for breakfast, lunch, or even dinner. And this Kashmiri-style chana dal can be an excellent choice for a quick and filling meal. So, without further ado, let's get started with the recipe. Read below.
Kashmiri Chana Dal Recipe: How To Make Kashmiri Chana Dal
- To begin, wash and soak the chana dal for an hour. Drain and place in a large pot with 3.5 cups of water. Cook, partially covered, for 20-30 minutes, or until dal is tender and slightly mushy. Add the salt and continue to cook on low heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tempering. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- To make a smooth paste, combine the bay leaf, ginger, fennel, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, black pepper, red pepper flakes, paprika, and lemon juice in a grinder or blender. If necessary, add a few teaspoons of water.
- Mix in the ginger spice mixture with the onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the ginger and spices are fragrant. Frequent stirring is required.
- Finally, pour the tempering into the simmering dal. Combine thoroughly. Adjust the salt and spice to taste. Cook for 5 minutes or longer if you want thick curry.
If you love Kashmiri food, click here for some of our best recipes.
Try this recipe at home and let us know how you all liked it in the comments below.