How to make Massaman Corn Broth
About Massaman Corn Broth Recipe: Packed with the goodness of corn, this broth recipe is the perfect one to prepare during the monsoon season and relax with your family. Garlic, thyme, onion, corn kernels and basil along with spices makes for a refreshing snack to go along with a hot cup of tea.
Ingredients of Massaman Corn Broth
- For corn cob broth:
- 6 pieces corn
- 10 cups water
- 5 Garlic cloves
- 5 Thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- For sweet corn velouté:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 80 gms onions (diced)
- 2 Fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 cups corn cob broth
- corn kernels and juice from above
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- to taste freshly ground black pepper
- for garnishing fresh basil
- For hot chilli oil:
- Dried chillies
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Spice chilli dust:
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp black salt
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- Combine the above together
How to Make Massaman Corn Broth
- Prepare corn cob broth:
- 1.Cut the corn off the cob and use the back of the knife to scrape off the juices. Do this over a baking dish or large bowl to catch the kernels. Set the cut corn kernels aside for the velouté.
- 2.Fill a large pot with the water. Break the cobs in half and add to the water along with the garlic and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for around 45 minutes.
- 3.Strain over a large bowl to remove the cobs, thyme, and garlic. Add the salt to the broth.
- Prepare sweet corn velouté:
- 1.Heat a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the tablespoon of oil and shallots and sauté for 3-5 minutes until the shallots are softened.
- 2.Add the thyme and cook for 30 seconds, then add the corn and sauté 5 minutes. Add broth and simmer 15-20 minutes, then turn off the heat. Remove sprigs of thyme.
- 3.Transfer soup to a blender and add the 1/4 cup of olive oil. Blend until smooth, venting the steam as you go for safety.
- 4.Pour the soup back into the pot through a mesh strainer to separate any remaining solids for the creamiest, most luscious soup. Add sea salt and freshly ground pepper, then taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Prepare hot chilli oil:
- 1.Heat oil and chililes in a small pot over low heat. Keep warm for 5 minutes then turn off heat and let cool completely. Watch carefully to keep the chillies from burning. Strain to separate oil when cool.
- To serve:
- 1.The soup can be served warm or cold with drizzle of chili oil or spice dust and a warm bread stick is an idle accompaniment.
Key Ingredients: corn, water, Garlic cloves, Thyme sprigs, sea salt, olive oil, onions (diced), Fresh thyme sprigs, corn cob broth, corn kernels and juice from above, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, fresh basil, For hot chilli oil:, Dried chillies, olive oil, chilli powder, black salt, chaat masala,