How To Make Sujeonggwa
About Sujeonggwa Recipe: Sujeonggwa is one of the many unique dishes in South Korea - it’s a ginger cinnamon tea that is served cold and is often taken as a dessert. This tea or punch is popular for festivities, such as New Year, but you’ll also find it on the menu at many Korean restaurants as a dessert since it aids digestion.
Ingredients of Sujeonggwa
- 30 gms fresh ginger (giving around 1/4 cup/ 27g thin strips once peeled)
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 900 ml water
- 90 gms sugar
- 2 Dried persimmon (if available
- 12 Pine nuts (to serve)
How to Make Sujeonggwa
- 1.Peel the ginger and cut into thin strips. Place the ginger and cinnamon sticks in a pot with the water and bring to a boil.
- 2.Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to a simmer. Continue to simmer for around 40 minutes. The cooking liquid will become a deep red-orange colour.
- 3.Strain the ginger and cinnamon from the tea and add the sugar. Stir it in so that it fully dissolves. Add the dried persimmon, allow to cool to just slightly warm before refrigerating overnight.
- 4.Serve cold, ideally in small bowls, with some of the soaked persimmon in each bowl (either leave one whole or, cut up which is easier to eat). Top with a couple pine nuts.
Key Ingredients: fresh ginger (giving around 1/4 cup/ 27g thin strips once peeled), Cinnamon sticks, water, sugar, Dried persimmon (if available, Pine nuts (to serve)