Chocolate Rum Cake
Recipe Servings: 6
A low fat chocolate cake with tofu, maple syrup and coffee. Slathered with a generous coat of chocolate rum frosting.
- 1 cup pureed firm silken tofu, regular or low-fat
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup brewed strong coffee or espresso
- 2 Tbsp dark rum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
Chocolate rum frosting:
- 1 cup low fat chocolate spread
- 1 tsp rum
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup milk
- Blend tofu, coffee, maple syrup, rum, vanilla extract till a smooth paste is formed.
- In a bowl, take flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder. Mix well till the mix is of the same color.
- Add tofu paste into the dry mix and mix well till the batter is smooth and lump free.
- Pour in a greased and floured baking dish and bake at 150 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Once the cake is done, check by inserting a fork through the cake. If the fork comes out clean, the cake is done.
- For icing, take chocolate spread rum, vanilla essence in a bowl and melt in a double boiler so that no lumps are formed. Once the mix is smooth then add milk. Let it cool.
- Pour over the cake and serve.
Key Ingredients: tofu
, vanilla essence
, all purpose flour
, baking powder
, baking soda