Crispy Pan Seared Duck Breast with Citrus Caramel Sauce and Onion Pilaf
Duck breast slices are served on a bed of onion rice, topped with a citrus caramel sauce.
- 4 duck breasts
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp peppercorn, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 lemons
- 2 oranges
- 4 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick, 2 inches
- 1 inch pc ginger
- 2 sticks lemon grass
- 1 pomelo
- 1 bottle orange marmalade or liqueur
For Onion Pilaf:
- 1 cup rice
- 2 Tbsp brown onion
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 sprig parsley
- 100 gm cherry tomato
- Clean duck breast of any excess fat and pat dry.
- On the skin side make criss cut marks on the skin being careful not to reach the flesh.
- Rub duck breast with pepper, salt and few sage leaves on both sides.
- Pan grill the skin side first in a non stick pan on medium flame till the skin is good golden brown.
- Turn the duck breast over and cook for two minutes.
- Transfer the duck breast to an oven at 200 degrees centigrade and let cook for another 7-9 minutes. Take out from the oven and let rest.
For the Sauce:
- Take a thick bottom pan. Add brown sugar and lightly caramelize it. Add butter, lemon and orange rind. Cook for a minute.
- Add star anise, cinnamon stick, ginger, lemon grass along with pomelo pulp, juice of orange.
- Cook these ingredients on slow flame till they reduces to a thick sauce consistency. The sauce should be balanced in sweet, salt and spice.
- Finish the sauce with a squeeze of lemon juice if required.
For the Onion Pilaf:
- Soak rice in water for a while. Boil two cups of water with brown onion. Add rice and cook by absorption method.
- De mould pilaf in the center of a plate. Arrange sliced duck breast in a fan shape and spoon the sauce on the duck breast.
- Garnish with parsley and grilled cherry tomato.
Key Ingredients: Turkey
, Brown sugar
, Star anise
, black pepper
, Pomelo, Rice
, Red chilli
, cherry Tomatoes