Recipe of Gajar Matar
Recipe Servings: 4
The classic carrot-pea dish tossed in mild spices is full of flavor and colour.
- 2 cups peas-shelled
- 1/2 carrots-cubed to match the peas
- 2 Tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 1/4 Tbsp asafoetida
- 1/2 Tbsp fenugreek seeds-roasted and coarsely pounded
- 1 Tbsp fennel seeds-roasted and coarsely pounded
- 1/2 Tbsp chilli powder
- 1/4 Tbsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
How to Make Gajar Matar
- Heat the ghee/ olive oil in a heavy-based pan.
- Add the asafoetida and ground spices.
- When the spices darken a bit, add the vegetables and stir till they look a little glossy.
- Add the coriander powder, chilli powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well.
- Lower heat and cook uncovered till tender.
- Mix in the lemon juice and serve garnished with chopped coriander leaves.
Key Ingredients: green peas
, clarified butter
, olive oil
, fenugreek seeds
, red chilli
, garam masala
, lemon juice
, coriander leaves