Khatta Meetha Kaddu Recipe
Recipe Servings: 6
A fairly simple kaddu. Pumpkin chunks cooked with sweet and sour flavors of tamarind, chillies, a hint of sugar and a whole lot of spices.
Ingredients of Khatta Meetha Kaddu
- 750 gm pumpkin (kaddu/sitaphal)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana) - roasted and pounded coarsely
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf) - roasted and pounded coarsely
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) - roasted and pounded coarsely
- 1 Tbsp thinly shredded ginger
- 3-4 whole red chillies
- Salt - to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Tamarind pulp made from 20 gm tamarind
- 1 Tbsp chopped coriander (dhania) leaves to garnish
How to Make Khatta Meetha Kaddu
- Peel the pumpkin if using the red variety. Scoop out the fibres and seeds in the centre before cutting it into 2-3 cms cubes.
- Heat the oil in a kadahi and add the asafoetida, the coarsely pounded fenugreek, fennel and cumin seeds. When they begin to splutter, add the ginger and the whole red chillies.
- Sauté till lightly coloured and add the pumpkin. Stir-fry on high heat till it looks glossy.
- Add salt, turmeric, garam masala, coriander powder, chilli powder and sugar. Mix well.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer till cooked through. Stir 3-4 times.
- Add the tamarind, cook for 2-3 minutes, and serve hot, garnished with chopped coriander leaves.
Key Ingredients: pumpkin
, vegetable oil
, red chillies, garam masala
, coriander powder
, red chilli
, coriander leaves
, cumin seeds
, fenugreek seeds