Recipe Servings: 15
Kulkuls are a Goan sweet made especially during the festival of Christmas.
Ingredients of Kulkuls
- 2 cups (240 gm) maida
- 1/2 cup semolina (Suji)
- 2 Tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/8th tsp salt
- 1/4th cup (60 g) sugar, powdered
- 1/4th cup (60 ml) coconut milk/plain milk
- Oil for frying
How to Make Kulkuls
- Mix the flour and semolina and rub the ghee into it.
- Add the salt, sugar and milk and knead into firm dough.
- Leave the dough to rest, covered for 1/2 hour or so.
- Make marble sized rounds of the dough. Flatten each round on to the back of a fork, pressing lightly. Roll the top so that you get a curled up shape with the ridges showing on top.
- Leave this for half an hour or so, turning once.
- Heat the oil till a drop of dough comes up at once.
- Add as many pieces as come in comfortably without touching each other.
- Lower the heat to medium and fry till brown on all sides.
- Remove the kulkuls with a slotted spoon, drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve at once or when cool, store in an airtight container.