Recipe Servings: 4
A yummy noodle soup with catfish, lemongrass, eggs and some vegetables. Its often eaten as breakfast in Burma.
- 3 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion - grated
- 4 garlic cloves - crushed
- 1-inch freshly grated root ginger
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 90 ml fish sauce
- 2 small onions
- 4 Tbsp rice flour mixed with a little cold water
- 450 gm catfish
- 450 gm fine rice noodles
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- Shredded spring onions
- Shredded green beans
- Slices of fried gourd or squash
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the grated onion, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, chilli powder and turmeric and cook for a few minutes over a medium heat, stirring, until fragrant.
- Add the water, fish sauce, quartered onions and rice flour mixture.
- Mix well and bring to the boil, stirring thoroughly to prevent any lumps forming.
- Once the soup has thickened, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cut the fish into chunks then add to the soup. Mix well and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the noodles and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
To Serve: Place a portion of noodles in individual soup bowls and top with the soup.
- Serve hot with the garnishes served in separate dishes and allow diners to add whichever of the garnishes they like to their own bowl of soup.
Key Ingredients: vegetable oil
, red chilli
, fish sauce
, rice flour
, cat fish
, rice noodles
, spring onion
, cluster beans
, coriander leaves