Munch on these semolina snacks on a rainy day with a hot cup of tea.
- 1 cup refined flour
- 1 cup semolina
- 1/2 tsp thymol seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup clarified oil
- Cold water - to mix
- Oil - for deep frying
- Mix the thymol seeds, salt, semolina and flour together and rub the clarified butter in lightly so that the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Knead into a stiff dough with cold water.
- Cover dough and set to rest in a cool place for at least 15 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a 1/4 or 1/8 cm in thick sheet.
- Prick with a fork all over the surface.
- Cut into narrow strips of desired size.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai till a piece of dough dropped in, rises to the top at once.
- Then, put in as many strips as will fit in comfortably.
- Turn once, and lower heat to medium. Fry till light brown on both sides.
- Lift out and place on absorbent paper.
- Fry the rest similarly, increasing heat before adding a fresh lot.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.