Recipe of Spinach and Laal Math Broken Wheat Pilaf
A delightful vegetarian pilaf made with broken wheat, spinach, laal math and a host of other veggies. Give your day a healthy start with this recipe.
- 1 cup broken wheat, washed and soaked
- 30 gm carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into 4
- 20-30 gm of leeks, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 Tbsp of celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- A pinch of saffron
- 2 Tbsp of broccoli stems, diced
- 1 cup spinach, washed
- 1 cup laal math leaves, washed
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Pinch of lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 cup broccoli florets, trimmed
- 1 Tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
How to Make Spinach and Laal Math Broken Wheat Pilaf
- In a blender, add the carrots, onions, leeks, garlic, celery, ginger and green chilli.
- Blend it into a chunky paste.
- Boil the vegetable stock with a pinch of saffron.
- In another pan add 1 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and sweat half of the previously made chunky paste.
- Add the broccoli stems. Blanch the spinach and laal math in hot salted water for just a few seconds and immediately add to the pan and saute with the other vegetables.
- Saute well and add lemon juice, salt and pepper and a pinch of lemon zest.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoon of the stock into the vegetables.
- Add the drained broken wheat and mix very gently.
- Add the broccoli florets and grated parmesan cheese.
- You may need to add a little more stock if you want a porridge consistency.
- Serve the porridge warm or cold with parmesan shavings.
Wheat, black pepper
, green chillies
, vegetable stock, saffron
, pepper, parmesan cheese