Recipe of Sugar- Free Rice Pudding
Chef Vicky Ratnani whips up a delectable sugar-free rice pudding with sugar free - for those of you who are wanting to cut down on the calories!
- For the Rice Pudding:
- 250 ml of coconut milk
- 100 ml milk
- 3-4 lime leaves
- A small stalk of lemon grass
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 150 gm of cooked long grain basmati rice
- 1-2 pods of cardamom
- 1/4 tsp of fresh ground nutmeg
- 3-4 measures of sugar free
For the Pineapple-Ginger Compote:
- 200 gm of fresh pineapple, finely chopped
- 1 tsp of butter
- 1 tsp of ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp lime zest (approximately 1/2 lime)
- 1 Tbsp of lime juice
- 4 measures sugar free
How to Make Sugar- Free Rice Pudding
- For Rice Pudding:
- Combine coconut milk and milk in a saucepan with lime leaves and a small stalk of lemon grass, cinnamon stick, nutmeg and cardamom pods in a 3-4 qt. saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Strain the milk into another saucepan.
- Add cooked rice continuously stirring to combine.
- Return mixture to a simmer and continue to cook, stirring often, until rice has absorbed much of the milk base and pudding has thickened. Cook for about 10-15 minutes.
For Pineapple Ginger Compote:
- In a hot pan, add the butter. Once the butter melts add the chopped pineapple, cook in the butter till soft.
- To this, add the ginger, lime zest, sugar free and lime juice. Mix all the ingredients together until it reduces to a nice thick consistency.
- Spoon warm pudding into bowl and top with the pineapple and ginger compote.
Key Ingredients: coconut milk
, basmati rice
, black cardamom
, lemon juice