Vaal (Bean Sprouts) Recipe
Recipe Servings: 4
Vaal is cooked with coconut paste and masalas till it's soft and full of flavour. Served with steamed rice.
Ingredients of Vaal (Bean Sprouts)
- 1/2 kg vaal (bean sprouts)
- 1-2 Tbsp refined oil
- 7-8 dry red chillies
- 3/4 tsp peppercorns
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut
- 8-9 cloves of garlic, bashed
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander and lime for garnish (optional)
How to Make Vaal (Bean Sprouts)
- Dry roast the coconut, red chillies and peppercorns together.
- Then grind them to a paste with a some salt and water.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add cloves of garlic and fry till they are golden brown.
- Stir in the ground coconut paste to it and cook till the oil begins to separate from the masala
- Now add the vaal and mix well.
- Add water and bring it to a boil.
- Then cover and cook on simmer till the vaal is nice and soft but still holding its shape.
- Once done, reduce the liquid a little to concentrate the flavors.
- Garnish with coriander and a squeeze of lime,
- Serve hot with steamed rice.