Are you noticing loose, flabby skin and unwelcome wrinkles as you hit your forties? Remember, achieving youthful skin is not just about what you put on your skin but also what you put inside your body. By making mindful dietary choices and incorporating skin-loving foods and habits, you can defy age and embrace radiant, glowing skin well into your forties and beyond. Don't know how to start? Fear not, because there's a recipe for radiant, youthful skin, straight from the expertise of Shivani Bajwa, a Functional Medicine practitioner. She sheds light on the primary culprit behind skin dullness and wrinkling in women over 40: insulin resistance (IR).
Also Read: Tamannaah Bhatia's Nutritionist Dishes Out 5 Secrets To Get Naturally Beautiful Skin!
Does insulin resistance affect your skin?
Insulin resistance may surface as you age. IR leads to high blood sugar, causing the skin to sag and lose its vitality. But, there's hope! Here are some diet tips shared by Shivani Bajwa on her Instagram handle to combat IR and maintain that youthful glow:
How To Look Younger After 40? Here Are 8 Diet Tips That Will Help:
- Cut Back on Sugars & Refined Carbs: These culprits spike blood sugar levels, contributing to skin ageing.
- Limit Alcohol: Excessive alcohol can accelerate skin ageing and dehydration.
- Say No to Snacking: Avoiding frequent snacks helps stabilise blood sugar levels.
- Embrace Good Fats: Incorporate healthy fats like avocados and nuts to curb cravings and support skin health.
- Balance Protein Intake: Too much protein can burden the kidneys, affecting skin health.
- Moderate Caffeine: Excessive caffeine consumption can dehydrate the skin.
- De-stress and Eat Mindfully: Stress negatively impacts skin health, so take time to relax and savour your meals.
- Load Up on Veggies: Aim for 3-5 servings of vegetables daily to nourish your skin from within.
But that's not all! Bajwa also recommends activating autophagy - the body's cellular cleansing process - to repair damaged proteins and shed dead skin cells. Here's how:
- Intermittent Fasting: Giving your body a break from eating activates autophagy, promoting skin rejuvenation.
- Ceramide-Rich Foods: Spinach, potatoes, coconut, and eggs are packed with ceramides, essential fats that keep skin firm and hydrated.
- Resveratrol: Found in wine and dark chocolate, resveratrol fights inflammation and supports anti-ageing.
- Polyphenols: These antioxidants, found in berries, grapes, and green tea, protect the skin from damage and ageing.
So, here's to nourishing your body and achieving timeless beauty!
About Neha GroverLove for reading roused her writing instincts. Neha is guilty of having a deep-set fixation with anything caffeinated. When she is not pouring out her nest of thoughts onto the screen, you can see her reading while sipping on coffee.