Onam 2023: Onam marks the homecoming of the legendary king Mahabali and is also a celebration of the rice harvest in the state. This year, the Onam festival began on 20th August 2023 and will culminate on 31st August 2023. Onam Sadhya, also called Onasadya, is an elaborate meal multi-course vegetarian meal prepared during this festival. It consists of around 28 sweet and savoury dishes, all served on a large banana leaf. If you want a taste of Onam Sadhya, restaurants across the country are offering special meals with their signature twist to this festive meal. Check out some of the options below.
Onam 2023: Onam Sadhya And Onam Special Meals At Restaurants In Mumbai, Delhi NCR, Bengaluru And Chennai:
The Bombay Canteen
The Bombay Canteen's Onam dinner is a treat unlike any other. Called 'Raja Ravi Varma's Feast of Wonders,' this first-of-its-kind immersive dinner experience brings together artist Ari Jayaprakash, historian and author Manu Pillai along with renowned chefs Manu Chandra and Hussain Shahzad. Diners can expect imaginative creations like Banana & Kappa Crackling, Appam Batter Fried Prawns, Mor Kuzhambu Poppers, Pidi Cavatelli, Broccoli Olan Gratin, Jaggery Chatti pathiri "Crepe Cake", Sulaimani Cheesecake and much more. The event aims to bring together historical storytelling, experiential dining and AI art, promising an unforgettable experience for all senses. Raja Ravi Varma's Onam' is the inaugural event of the True South series, and is the result of a collaboration between teams at Splainer, enthucutlet, LUPA and Stumble.
- When: 29th August 2023; 7 pm to 10 pm
- Price: Rs 8,850/- onwards (per person)
- Where: The Bombay Canteen, Unit-1, Process House, S.B. Road, Kamala Mills, Lower Parel, Mumbai 400013
- Contact: +91 8875010300
- Book your seat on Zomato Live or log onto https://bit.ly/TrueSouth
Kebab Corner, InterContinental Marine Drive
Savour a multi-course vegetarian Onam Sadhya served thali-style at Kebab Korner, InterContinental Marine Drive. The sumptuous feast features 25 dishes from across Kerala, including snacks with pickles and condiments, a variety of curries, vegetable preparations, sweets and much more. Among the traditional delicacies, one can try Inji Curry, Mango Curry, Pachadi, Olan, Parripu Curry, Chenna Mezhukkupuratti, Inji Thaiyar and others.
- When: 20th to 31st August, 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm
- Where: Kebab Korner, InterContinental Marine Drive, Level 1, 135 Marine Drive, Churchgate
- Price: INR 1600+ taxes per person
- Contact: +91-22-66399855
IRA by Orchid
IRA by Orchid is offering a lavish Onam Sadhya spread that celebrates Kerala's cultural and culinary heritage. This traditional feast features a wide variety of meticulously prepared dishes, emblematic of the festive spirit of Onam. Diners can enjoy an assortment of delicious savoury as well as sweet delicacies. The team at IRA by Orchid believes that Onam Sadhya is more than just a meal - it is an experience - and it has accordingly curated the event.
- When: 26th to 29th August; 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm
- Where: IRA by Orchid, Mumbai, Andheri East
- Contact: +91 77381 82655 / +91 90041 30889 / 900485996
South of Vindhyas, The Orchid
For an extravagant festive meal, opt for the 'Adipoli Onam Sadhya' at South of Vindhyas at The Orchid Hotel in Vile Parle. This sumptuous Sadhya buffet is curated by Masterchef Bala, and consists of 56 unmissable delights. The decor and ambience will also pay homage to the rich culture of Kerala. Create beautiful memories with friends and family as you dine in this lovely community setting and celebrate the festival in your own way.
- When: 25th to 30th August; 12:30 pm to 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm
- Where: South of Vindhyas, The Orchid Hotel Mumbai, Vile Parle
- Contact: +91 7506010316 or 022 61697000
Zambar's Onam Sadhya Menu promises a wonderful gastronomic experience, featuring a wide variety of authentic delicacies. The main course comprises delicious vegetarian dishes, including Avial, Cucumber Kichadi, Olan, and Erissery. These will come with traditional accompaniments like Kerala Red Rice, Sambhar, Rasam, and Moru Kachiyathu. End your meal on a sweet note by choosing from among the different types of Payasam, including the delectable Palada Payasam and Ada Pradhaman. As you enjoy this festive meal, don't forget to take in the vibrant flowers, intricate pookalam designs, and the warm glow of traditional lamps around you. Zambar's Onam Sadhya Menu is also available for delivery.
- When: 28th to 30th August 2023
- Where: Shop 310, Third Floor, Ambience Mall, Golf Dr, Ambience Island, DLF Phase 3, Sector 24, Gurugram, Haryana
- Price: Dine-in 1400 AI per person, Delivery: 1400 AI per person
- Contact: 0124-4665639 / 9958564400 / Delivery: 8506970143
Dhansoo Cafe, Gurugram
Those in Gurugram can also head to Dhansoo Cafe to celebrate this joyous occasion. The Onam Platter Menu by Chef Ashish Singh features a mouth-watering selection of dishes, ranging from the crisp and irresistible Pappadam to the comforting goodness of Ellisheri, Avial, Thoran, Chor, and Parripu Curry. They are sure to transport your taste buds to the lush landscapes of Kerala! The platter also includes traditional Ada Payasam and Sambaram, a buttermilk-based drink. The café also has the option for a special Onam Thali for those seeking a different experience.
- When: 22nd August to 29th August 2023; 12 noon to Midnight
- Where: Dhansoo Café, 3rd Floor, Ambience Mall, Gurugram
- Price: (For two) INR 2000 plus taxes
- Contact: 9711878382
JW Marriott Bengaluru
For a satisfying and sumptuous Onam spread, served in the traditional way, head to the esteemed JW Kitchen at JW Marriott Bengaluru. The meal is curated to be a culinary journey through the rich traditions of Kerala, showcasing an exquisite range of authentic Onam delicacies. The Onam Brunch has a variety of signature dishes, including Avial, Koottu Curry, Red Rice, Varutharacha Samba, Prathamans, Upperi, Injipuli, Moru Curry, and Theeyal. The multi-cuisine brunch buffet will feature an array of live counters and promises an interactive dining experience with festive flair.
- When: 28th August to 31st August; 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm.
- Where: 24, 1, Vittal Mallya Rd, KG Halli, Shanthala Nagar, Ashok Nagar, Bengaluru
- Price: Food & Soft Beverages: INR 1950++; Food & Soft Beverages: INR 2950++ in the deck area.
Sheraton Grand Bangalore Hotel at Brigade Gateway
Crafted by Chef Manjunath, the Onam spread is Sheraton Grand Bangalore Hotel at Brigade Gateway aims to pay tribute to the exquisite bounty of the picturesque coastal region of Kerala. Some of the must-try delights include the Pineapple Pachadi, Eriserry, Pulissery, Olan, Kalan, and other standout delicacies. You can choose between a themed brunch on Sunday that showcases the best of the Sadhya dishes or a Sadhya meal on the day of Onam.
- When: Brunch: 27th August; Grand Sadhya: 29th August; from 12:30 pm to 4:00 pm
- Where: Feast, Sheraton Grand Hotel Bangalore at Brigade Gateway, 26/1 Dr. Rajkumar Road Malleswaram, Rajajinagar, Bengaluru
- Price: Brunch starts at INR 2,600/- ++; Sadhya is priced at INR 1,250/- (Vegetarian); INR 1,500 (Non-Vegetarian)
- Contact: 9632081279 / 9591996959
Take part in a special culinary celebration of Onam at Shangri-La Bengaluru's award-winning Indian restaurant, Ssaffron. Guests can relish a traditional Onam Sadhya that pays homage to the rich and diverse flavours of the harvest festival. Served on a traditional banana leaf, savoury options include Kerala-style pickles, Avial, Erissery, and black Chana cooked in coconut milk and southern spices, Pineapple Pacchadi and more, served with Kerala Rice. Sweet delights include the Palada Pradhaman, Paripu Pradhaman, and the irresistible Kozhikode Halwa
- When: 25th August to 29th August 2023; Lunch: 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm; Dinner: 6:30 pm to 11:30 pm
- Where: Level 18, Shangri-La Hotel, No. 56-6B, Bengaluru
- Price: INR 1900 plus taxes per person
- Contact: +91 8045126100
Hotel Royal Orchid
Hotel Royal Orchid Bangalore is hosting an Onam Sadhya Extravaganza that promises to be a memorable experience. Their Onam Sadhya will be a treat for your taste buds and comprises a diverse array of delicious vegetarian dishes served on a traditional Thali with fresh banana leaves. The hotel's culinary experts have carefully curated an authentic Sadhya spread incorporating the Nirapara tradition symbolising prosperity and abundance. You can expect many authentic delicacies, including Avial, Olan, Thoran, Pachadi, and the delectable Payasam accompanied by beverages like Sambharam. Apart from these delights, there will be traditional Pookalam patterns and captivating performances of Kerala's traditional dance forms like Thiruvathira and Kathakali.
- When: 29th August; 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm
- Where: Limelight, Hotel Royal Orchid Bangalore, No 1, Golf Avenue, HAL Old Airport Road, adjoining KGA Golf Course, Domlur, Bengaluru
- Price: INR 1399/- ++ per Sadhya
- Contact: +91 9148146225 / 9902000059
Lush, Renaissance Bengaluru Race Course Hotel
Enjoy a scrumptious Onam Buffet Lunch spread at Lush, Bengaluru, curated by Executive Chef Somasundaram. Highlights include Upperi, Inji Puli, Parippu, Olan, Kalan, Erissery, Cabbage Thoran, Avial, Sambar, and Ela Ada, among many others. Each bite of this Royal Onam Feast promises to remind you of the lush green paddy fields, swaying coconut palms, and abundant fruit plantations of Kerala.
- When: 29th August to 31st August 2023; Lunch: 12.30 pm to 3.30 pm
- Where: Lush, at Renaissance Bengaluru Race Course Hotel
- Price: INR 1400++ per person
- Contact: +91 95139 44520
Neer, Hilton Bengaluru Embassy Manyata Business Park
Neer, the rooftop South Indian coastal specialty restaurant at Hilton Bengaluru Embassy Manyata Business Park has planned a lavish Onam Sadhya this year. This vegetarian feast will be served on traditional plantain leaves and will include over 22 delicacies including Avial, Erussary, Thengai Sadam, and Ada pradanam. You don't want to miss this hearty meal curated by their expert chefs.
- When: 29th August 2023
- Where: Neer, poolside rooftop restaurant in Hilton Embassy Manyata Business Park, Bengaluru
- Timing: 12:30 pm to 03:00 pm
- Price: INR 2000/- per person
Moplah's in Koramangala is hosting a one-day-only Onam Sadhya that you must check out. The irresistible culinary spread will include the House-made Shakara Varatti and Kondattom, Madhura curry, Kurukku Kalan, Olan, Mathanga Erissery, and an enticing trio of Payasam/Pradhaman.
- When: 29th August, 2023; 11:30 am to10:30 pm
- Where: 1st Cross Rd, KHB Colony, 5th Block, Koramangala, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560095
- Contact: 088679 19837
Dakshin at Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park is offering a delectable Onam Sadhya with eco-friendly dine-in and takeaway options. The 26 vegetarian dishes will be served on the banana leaf in such a way that it will bring to mind the flower decoration 'Pookalam' that adorns many doorsteps in Kerala during this festival. The festive lunch for two, neatly packed, includes sharkara varatti, ulli vada, mathalangai eruserry, toran, olan, kalan, avial and more. For dessert, there is unniappam, paal ada payasam and parippu pradhaman.
- When: 26th August to 30th August, 2023; Lunch and Dinner
- Where: 132, TT Krishnamachari Rd, Austin Nagar, Alwarpet, Chennai
- Price: (For two) 2537 AI for Dine in, *2750 onwards for take away (Meal for two)
- Contact: +91 9600030787
The Melting Pot
InterContinental Chennai Mahabalipuram is hosting a 'Traditional Onam Sadhya' Festival on 29th August this year. At The Melting Pot, one can feast on a sumptuous and exquisite Onam Sadhya, featuring Avial, Erussery, Carrot-Cabbage Thoran, and more. Another highlight is the mouth-watering Ada Pradhaman dessert. This festive meal expertly brings together traditional flavours as part of a specially curated dining experience you don't want to miss.
- When: 29th August 2023; 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm
- Where: No.212, East Coast Road, Nemelli Village, Perur Post Office, Chengalpattu District, Chennai - 603104.
- Price: INR 1995 + Taxes (per person)
- Contact: + 91 8939865109 / 8468987595
Cafe G, Holiday Inn Chennai OMR IT Expressway
Another amazing option for Chennai food enthusiasts is the hearty Onam Sadhya Meal at Cafe G in Holiday Inn Chennai OMR IT Expressway. Their traditional multi-course meal will include 24 scrumptious dishes, each crafted with great finesse.
- When: 28th & 29th August, 2023; 12:30 pm to 3 pm
- Where: Holiday Inn Chennai OMR IT Expressway 110 Rajiv Gandhi Salai, Old Mahabalipuram Road, OMR, Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai
- Price: INR 1500 + Taxes (per person)
- Contact: +91 7550111044/ 7550111025/ 7550111022
Passengers aboard Akasa Air flights can also savour a special Onam meal during their journey. Travellers can dig into spicy kadala curry wrap in malabari paratha, Nei appam and Ada Pradhaman along with a choice of beverage. The festive meal is available across the Akasa Air network and can be pre-booked on Akasa Air's website or mobile app as well as with select online travel agents (OTAs).
- When: 1st August to 31st August
About Toshita SahniToshita is fuelled by wordplay, wanderlust, wonderment and Alliteration. When she is not blissfully contemplating her next meal, she enjoys reading novels and roaming around the city.