How to make Biraiee Roti
Recipe Servings: 4
Total Cook Time:
Difficulty Level: Medium
Rotis made from channa dal, cloves, peppercorns, black cardamom and cumin seeds.
Ingredients of Biraiee Roti
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Water
- To help in rolling Dry flour
- For the Filling:
- 1 cup Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- to taste Salt
- 4 Cloves
- 4 Peppercorns
- 1 Black Peppercorn Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
How to Make Biraiee Roti
- 1.Knead the dough as you would for normal rotis and leave to rest.
- 2.Boil the lentils with ingredients for the filling, using just enough water to cook the lentils and be absorbed into them. No extra water should remain visible.
- 3.When cool enough to handle, grind the lentil mixture.
- 4.Make round balls of the dough and flatten into round patties between your palms.
- 5.Press flat with your fingers, to make them about 6 cm/2 ˝ in.
- 6.Pinch the edges about one-third way towards the center so that they are thinner than the center, and form a sort of cup.
- 7.Take some of the lentil mixture and place it in the center of the cup, then pinch the edges to seal.
- 8.Roll out this stuffed ball as thinly as you can, without tearing.
- 9.Use dry flour to dust while rolling.
- 10.Clean a griddle on both sides. Place inverted on high heat.
- 11.Cook the rolled out roti over it, first on one side and then on the other and serve hot.
- 12.The rotis can also be kept in a covered container until ready to serve.