How to make Braised Lamb Shanks
About Braised Lamb Shanks Recipe: Lamb shank refers to the leg bone beneath the knee or the tibia of the animal and are often braised whole. This recipe of braised lamb shanks has lamb shanks cooked with onion, celery and carrot, seasoned with rosemary and further cooked with white wine. This sauce is further simmered till glossy and poured over the cooked shanks.
Ingredients of Braised Lamb Shanks
- 8 Lamb shanks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot (chopped), peeled
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 350 ml white wine
- 500 ml lamb stock
- 1 tsp rosemary, chopped
- 2 cup tomato puree
How to Make Braised Lamb Shanks
- 1.Heat oven to 200 C.
- 2.Pour the oil in a roasting pan large enough to fit all the shanks.
- 3.With the pan set over a high heat, place the lamb shanks till it gets brown.
- 4.Remove the lamb, add chopped onion, celery and carrot and cook it for 10 minutes.
- 5.Add herbs and garlic and cook for sometime.
- 6.Season it with rosemary followed by tomato puree.
- 7.Pour the wine over it and then return the brown lamb shank to the pan.
- 8.Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid undisturbed, for 1½-2 hrs until lamb is tender.
- 9.Remove the lamb from the sauce and set aside.
- 10.Boil juices in pot until rich and glossy. Spoon over shanks.
Key Ingredients: Lamb shanks, olive oil, onion, carrot (chopped), celery stick, garlic cloves, white wine, lamb stock, rosemary, tomato puree