How to make Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Arjun Gupta of The Piano Man, New Delhi cooks up a healthy, wholesome and filling broccoli soup with cheddar cheese. This one's a meal in itself!
Ingredients of Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
- 200 Gram Fresh broccoli, chopped
- 150 Ml Vegetable stock
- 30 Gram Roux
- 1/2 Onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 20 Gram Butter
- A pinch of Nutmeg
- A pinch of White pepper powder
- A pinch of Salt
- A pinch of Black pepper
- 2 Tbsp Cream
- 50 Gram Cheddar cheese, shredded
How to Make Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
- 1.Cut some broccoli florets and blanch them. Be very carefully as they cook very quickly. Once done chop them up nice and fine.
- 2.Roux can be made by mixing 1/2 butter and 1/2 maida. Mix it over low heat, let it cook for a while and when it turns golden it's done.
- 3.Heat butter in a pan, sweat garlic & onion, and add chopped broccoli and saute.
- 4.Season with salt, pepper & nutmeg powder. Saute and them take this mix out in a bowl.
- 5.Chill in the refrigerator for a couple of minutes.
- 6.In the meanwhile prepare the base.
- 7.The rule with stock and roux is that you mix them when either they are both cold or hot.
- 8.So we mix the roux and some of the stock both at room temperature into a paste.
- 9.Add the remaining stock to a pan. Bring it to a boil and them lower the heat and let it simmer.
- 10.Add the roux mix to it. Now while it simmers puree half of the broccoli mix and mix with the other half.
- 11.Add cheddar cheese and simmer.
- 12.Add the puree and fine broccoli mix.
- 13.Now add the cream. Mix well and remove from heat immediately.
- 14.Garnish with some cheese.
Fresh broccoli, Vegetable stock, Roux
, White pepper powder, Salt
, Black pepper, Cream
, Cheddar cheese