How to make Dhokar Dalna
About Dhokar Dalna Recipe: A delicious Bengali treat, Dhokar Dalna has fried chana dal cakes marinated along with potato cubes dipped in a thick gravy of cumin seeds, hing, and bay leaf along with ginger and red chili paste. Dhoker Dalna is best served with steamed rice.
Ingredients of Dhokar Dalna
- 1 Cup chana dal
- Bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3 pinches of salt
- 2 ghee
- 1 large potato (chopped into cubes), peeled
- 1 tsp asafoetida
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 5 tbsp mustard oil
How to Make Dhokar Dalna
- 1.Soak the dal overnight or for a minimum of 3-4 hours.
- 2.Take a blender and make a smooth and thick paste of dal. Now take a deep pan and heat oil.
- 3.Take the paste and fry in oil at low flame for a minimum of 10 minutes from all sides.
- 4.While frying adds cumin, ginger, red chili powder or paste each of 1 tsp and sugar. Add salt according to taste.
- 5.Take a big plate and grease it with oil. Take the paste and pour it on the plate. While it is warm, pat the paste with your hands and form a flat, little-raised structure.
- 6.Take a knife and cut the paste in small square or diamond shapes. Let the lentils paste get cool, hard. When the structures are ready then take them out slowly.
- 7.Marinate potato cubes and the lentil cake with salt and turmeric powder. Now fry them in oil till they get golden brown on both sides.
- 8.Take a deep pan. Heat fresh oil. Add cumin seeds, hing, and bay leaf and sauté for 2 minutes. Now add rest of the cumin, ginger and red chili paste and half cup water. Sauté them well.
- 9.Sauté till the spices start leaving the water. Now add potato cubes and 2 cups of water.
- 10.When the potato cubes are almost boiled, add lentils cakes. Cook it 5 minutes in medium flame.
- 11.Add garam masala powder and ghee. Cook for another 2 or 3 minutes. Switch off the burner.
- 12.Dhokar Dalna is ready to serve. Serve it with steamed rice.
Key Ingredients: chana dal, Bay leaf, cumin seeds, ginger powder, sugar, salt, ghee, potato (chopped into cubes), asafoetida, cumin powder, red chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala powder, mustard oil