Recipe Servings: 2
Total Cook Time:
Difficulty Level: Medium
About Suji Gujiya Recipe: Give your regular gujiyas a healthier spin this Holi with these semolina (suji) gujiyas. Easy, yummy and healthy!
Ingredients of Suji Gujiya
- 1/2 Cup semolina
- 2 cup refined flour
- 1/4 cup + 5 tbsp desi ghee
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp coconut
- 2 tbsp cashew, chopped
- 2 tbsp pista
- 2 tbsp raisin, chopped
- 4-5 cardamom (coarsely ground)
How to Make Suji Gujiya
- 1.Mix ¼ cup of desi ghee in 2 cups of maida. Pour water gradually and knead a stiff dough. Cover and rest the dough for 20 minutes to set.
- 2.Pour ½ cup of suji and ghee (2 tbsp less in a half cup) into the pan and roast the semolina over low-medium heat till golden brown.
- 3.Next, add ½ cup of sugar and ½ cup water to the pan and simmer till the sugar dissolves completely.
- 4.Once the sugar dissolves completely, add suji to the syrup and cook the mixture over medium flame till it thickens.
- 5.Next, add 4 tbsp of grated coconut, 2 tbsp of chopped cashews, 2 tbsp of Pista, 2 tbsp of raisin, 5-6 coarsely ground cardamom to the mixture, and mix well.
- 6.Turn off the flame, take the filling out on a plate, and allow it to cool.
- 7.Knead the dough a little and divide it into small parts. Take a piece of dough and roll it into a sheet of 3 to 3.5 inches in diameter.
- 8.Place the rolled sheet on the gujiya mould and add 1.5 to 2--spoon filling. Center the stuffing and apply a little water fold and you have to Mack hand fold also
- 9.Close the mold and press the edges. Tear out the extra dough and unmold the gujiya carefully.
- 10.Likewise, prepare all the gujiyas and place it on a cloth laid on top of the tray.
- 11.To prepare gujiya without using a mold, place the rolled sheet on your palm, add stuffing in the center, and stick the edges to give a half-moon shape.
- 12.Start pleating from one edge to another.
- 13.Simmer 1 cup of sugar and ¾ cup of water in a vessel to prepare one-string consistency syrup to dip the Gujiya.
- 14.Put the gujiya in the wok and fry them over low flame for 4-5 minutes. Turn them around and fry them till golden brown from both sides.
- 15.Once golden brown, transfer them directly to the syrup and immerse them in that for 4 minutes. Fry all the gujiya. Each batch will take 15-16 minutes.
Key Ingredients: semolina, refined flour, desi ghee, sugar, coconut, cashew, pista, raisin, cardamom (coarsely ground)