Story ProgressBack to home
Tom Yum Prawns Recipe
How to make Tom Yum Prawns
About Tom Yum Prawns Recipe: A delicious winter recipe to cook! Boiled prawns cooked with a host of healthy and flavourful spices and herbs, served warm. Prawns are a great source of nutrients and when cooked with perfection, there is nothing as flavourful than this tom yum prawn soup! A quick and easy prawn soup recipe to warm up with in the winters!
- Total Cook Time 45 mins
- Prep Time 10 mins
- Cook Time 35 mins
- Recipe Servings2
Ingredients of Tom Yum Prawns
- 2 1/2 Cup Shrimp stock (best, canned chicken stock, or water)
- 10-12 Shrimp (or 8 oz head-on and shell-on but chop the eyes part off, devein if you like)
- 3 1/2 tbsp Lime juice
- 6 Bird's eyes chilies (pounded)
- 3 Galangal slices
- 6 Kaffir lime leaves (bruised)
- 2 tbsp Thai roasted chili paste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 3 tsp Fish sauce
- 1 stalk Lemongrass (cut into 3-inch strips, pounded with a cleaver)
- 6 Straw mushrooms / Fresh oyster mushrooms / Fresh white button mushrooms (canned)
How to Make Tom Yum PrawnsHideShow Media
In a pot, bring 3 cups of water to boil. Then add a big handful of shrimp/prawn heads.
Boil the shrimp head until the water turns slightly orange in color. Press the shrimp heads with spatula to extract the "goodies" from their heads.
Let the stock reduce to slightly more than 2 1/2 cups. Drain the shrimp stock and discard the shrimp heads.
Add lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, bird's eye chilies, mushrooms, thai roasted chilli paste to the shrimp stock and bring it to boil.
Add in the shrimp and fish sauce.
Lastly, add the lime juice (if you add lime juice too early, the soup might turn bitter).
Boil until the shrimps are cooked, dish out and serve hot.