As the name suggests, high fat diet is a diet loaded with fats and is low on carbs and has turned out to be one of the most popular diets nowadays. According to Delhi based Nutritionist Dr. Rupali Datta, "high fat diet is beneficial for improving the gut flora and it also helps regulate your sugar levels."
What you need to consider is the 'type' of fat you are going for. When aiming for weight-loss with this way of eating, be mindful of consuming only 'good' fats which are basically unrefined animal fats, fat from fish and fats from plants like avocado, nuts and some oils.
(Also read: 6 Super Fats That Can Actually Help You Burn Body Fat)
What you need to consider is the 'type' of fat you are going for.
Here is a list of benefits that you could derive from eating good fats:
Fat is a crucial element for your body's absorption of the fat-soluble vitamins
- High fat diet is extremely satiating and also keeps your blood sugar level stable. When you embark on low fat diet in an attempt to lose weight, you may end up hungry and dissatisfied, thus ending up craving for sugary snacks.
- Increased fat intake promotes a healthy gut too. Healthy fats work with your gut bacteria to protect the gut barrier that works hard to regulate your immune response and flush out all the toxins and chemicals.
- Good fats are good for brain health; our brain is composed of omega-3 fatty acids and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). A deficiency of fats can lead to stress, anxiety and other mood disorders. So, feel good about adding good fats to your diet and vice versa!
- Eating good fats will not make you fat. If you choose to eat healthier fats, in controlled portions, your body will eventually learn to burn fat, instead of energy, further inducing weight loss. A high-fat diet can also curb hunger and cravings that mostly leads to overeating.
- Fat is a crucial element for your body's absorption of the fat-soluble vitamins. Adding fats to your diet will help boost the absorption of vitamins that further help in strengthening your bones, boosting your immune system and protecting your heart health.
- High fat diet benefit includes boosting energy levels. Good fats keep you on your toes throughout the day without having to feel hungry. If you eat a diet centered on carbohydrates, one experiences raises in insulin levels. This rise in insulin levels will make you feel tired and lethargic.
- Finally high fat diets can boost eye and skin health. Dry skin and eyes are generally caused due to the deficiency in fatty acids, therefore, getting adequate omega-3 fats and saturated fats in your diet may help keep your skin and eyes healthy.
A high fat diet could help lower the risk of developing various diseases, increases your energy levels and helps you stay focused and productive during the day. It also helps to choose your fats wisely and exercise portion control. So, if you are thinking of switching to a high fat diet, make sure you consult a dietitian who can help you build a proper plan to gain maximum results.
Who would have thought that fats are good, right? Fats can certainly be qualified as 'good' or ' bad'. Healthy fats, in fact, could make a great diet. A lot has been said about fad diets or quick weight-loss diets like Keto that propagates a high fat and low carb diet. You will find enough people on both sides of the argument. Some believe these diets work, while others disagree. It is a common notion that if you load up on fats, it may up the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases or diabetes. However, this may not be the case. High fat diets like ketogenic diet promise to maintain weight and overall health by putting the body in the state of ketosis. When the body has the ability to burn fat as fuel, the liver naturally creates fats called ketones. It is said that ketones burn fat more efficiently than the carbs can, which in turn may create an environment for weight loss.