Recipe of Aloo ki Kadhi
A light and lovely curry made with potatoes, chillies and singhare ka atta. A great recipe for the Navratri fasts.
- 1/2 kg potatoes-boiled, peeled, mashed smooth
- 2 tsp rock salt
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 cup singhare ka atta
- Oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup sour yoghurt
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 whole red chillies
- 1 Tbsp ginger-chopped
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 4 cups water coriander leaves to garnish
How to Make Aloo ki Kadhi
- Mix the potatoes, 1/2 tsp salt, chilli powder and singhare ka atta into a thick batter.
- Put aside 1/4 of the mixture and the rest will be made into pakories.
- Heat oil till a drop of batter dropped in comes up at once.
- Drop spoonfuls into oil, lower the flame and fry to a golden colour.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Add the yoghurt to the remaining mixture, make a smooth paste and mix in water.
- In a heavy-based pan, reheat 2 tbsp of the same oil, add curry leaves, cumin seeds and whole red chillies.
- When slightly darkened, add ginger and sauté a little.
- Add the yoghurt mixture, salt and coriander powder and bring to a boil and then simmer over low flame till it thickens a bit; stirring frequently to avoid scorching.
- Add the pakories, simmer a couple of minutes more and serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves.
Key Ingredients: Potatoes
, rock salt
, water, chestnut flour, yogurt
, curry leaves
, cumin seeds
, red chilli
, coriander powder
, coriander leaves
, vegetable oil