Recipe of Chawal Ka Upma
Recipe Servings: 8
Samvat ke chawal tempered and sauteed in ghee with potatoes to make a tasty Navratri dish. Perfect to satisfy your hunger pangs while fasting.
- 1 cup sanwat / parsai ke chawal (vrat wale chaawal - banyard millet)
- 2 Tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp zeera
- 2 laung (cloves)
- 2 chhoti elaichi (green cardamoms)
- 1 small stick dalchini (cinnamon)
- 1 large potato, diced small
- 2 tsp sendha namak (white rock salt)
- 1.2 tsp chilli powder
- 3 cups water
- Hara dhania (Coriander leaves) for garnish
How to Make Chawal Ka Upma
- Wash rice and keep aside.
- Heat ghee and add zeera, laung, elaichi and the dalchini. When slightly coloured, add the potato and rice and stir fry till they look a bit fried.
- Add salt, chilli powder and water and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or till cooked through and the water is absorbed. Serve hot garnished with hara dhania.
Key Ingredients: barnyard millet
, cumin seeds
, green cardamom
, rock salt
, coriander leaves
, red chilli
, clarified butter