Recipe of Fish Kalia
Recipe Servings: 4
Poached fish in a masala rich gravy.
- 1 kg fish steaks
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 cup refined oil
- 1 cup refined oil
- 5- 6 bedaki (whole red) chillies
- 1 ginger
- 7 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 green chillies
- 100 ml water
- 1 cup curd
- Sea salt
How to Make Fish Kalia
- In a bowl of fish, add a tsp of red chilly powder, 1 tsp of turmeric powder, rock salt, 1 tbsp of refined oil. Gently massage the fish and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat 4 tbsp of mustard oil. Add 5 - 6 bedaki chillies, 1 chopped ginger, 6 - 7 garlic cloves, 1 tsp of coriander seeds, 1 tsp of cumin seeds and mix well for 2 min.
- Put this masala in a mortar and pestle and grind it to a coarse paste.
- In another pan, heat 5 tbsp of mustard oil and pan fry the fish till it becomes opaque/brown in color. Take out the fish and keep it aside.
- In another pan, add the hot fish flavored mustard oil. Put 1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon tick, 1 cup of finely chopped onions and mix it well.
- Add 3 slit green chilies and mix well.
- Add the coarse spices into this aromatics mixture and keep stirring. Add a tsp of turmeric powder, 1 tsp of red chillies, ½ tsp of sea salt and keep on sauteing it till it becomes red chilly in color.
- Add water if necessary to combine all spices till the oil separates.
- When the oil has separated, add a cup of whipped curd and mix it well for 5 - 10 minutes. Add water and bring it to boil.
- Add sugar and a dash of lime juice to balance the flavor. With the help of a whisker, whisk the masala.
- Put the poached fish in this gravy along with the resting juices of the fish.
- Cover the lid and let it simmer for 5 - 7 min, till the gravy thickens.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Key Ingredients: Fish
, red chilli
, vegetable oil
, coriander seeds
, cumin seeds
, bay leaf
, green chillies
, sea salt