Ghiya Chana Dal
Recipe Servings: 4
Chane ki dal, cooked with ghiya (bottle gourd).
- 1 cup (180 gm) chane ki dal (Bengal Gram)
- 5 cups water
- 1 Tbsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp haldi (turmeric)
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 Tbsp (30 gm) ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp jeera (cummin seeds)
- 2 tej patta (bay leaves)
- 1/4 cup (60 gm) grated tomatoes
- 2-3 green chillies, slit
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp powdered dhania (coriander seeds)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 cups (500 gm) ghiya/lauki (bottle gourd) peeled and cut into small pieces, 1 1/2cms/ 3/4" thick
- 1 Tbsp chopped hara dhania (coriander leaves) for garnishing
- Pick, clean and wash the daal and cook with the water, salt, haldi and ginger.
- Cook till lentils are cooked soft (takes approx.1 hour). If using a pressure cooker add only 3 cups water and cook for 12 minutes.
- Heat the ghee in a pan, and add the jeera and tej patta. When the seeds splutter, add the tomatoes and stir-fry till the fat separates.
- Add the green chillies, garam masala, dhania , chilli powder and ghiya and mix well.
- Add the daal to this mixture and bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 10 minutes. Serve hot garnished with the coriander leaves.
Key Ingredients: Bengal Gram (split)
, clarified butter
, cumin seeds
, bay leaf
, green chillies
, garam masala
, coriander seeds
, coriander leaves
, red chilli
, bottle gourd