Recipe Servings: 6
Gushtaba is a traditional Kashmiri curry of spicy meatballs cooked in a yogurt gravy.
- 1 kg boneless meat from the leg of the lamb
- 1 cup meat fat
- 1 cup mustard oil
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup curd
- 6 cups of water
- 5 pieces green cardamom
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 3 brown cardamom
- 1 large piece cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 3 tsp fennel powder
- 2 tsp dried mint
- 1 tsp asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Note: The meat for this delicious dish should be as fresh as possible. Traditionally it has to be beaten with a wooden mallet on a smooth surfaced stone. Meat fat is added to it while pounding.
How to Make Gushtaba
- Pound the boneless meat on a smooth stone with a wooden mallet. Add the meat fat and pound it well.
- Add brown cardamom powder, ginger powder and salt, keep on pounding till you get the smooth pulp out of it.
- Make round balls 2 to 3 inches in diameter and leave aside.
- Keep them separate from each other.
- Heat oil in a large vessel add a little salt and asafoetida to it.
- Beat curd in a jug, add to the oil and keep on stirring till it really mixes well.
- Add water and rest of the whole and powdered spices and milk together and bring the gravy to boil.
- Add meat balls one by one to the boiling gravy.
- Cook for one hour on medium flame, & simmer for about 15 minutes .
- Sprinkle with mint and serve with boiled rice.
Key Ingredients: lamb meat
, mustard oil
, green cardamom
, bay leaf
, mint leaves
, black cardamom
, brown cardamom, cinnamom, ginger
, mint, asafoetida