Pan Seared Basa, Haaq Saag, Kashmiri Chilli Butter, Walnut Pulao
Coated with the flavour of oyster sauce, basa fish is pan seared and served on a bed of haaq saag with a crunchy walnut pulao.
- 500 g kashmiri haaq saag
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 2 Tbsp mustard oil
- 3 whole red chillies
- 1 pinch cooking soda
- 1 Tbsp desi ghee
- 1/2 tsp mace
- 5 green cardamoms
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon sticks
- 3 Tbsp walnuts, shelled
- 2 cups basmati rice, soaked
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 pinch fennel powder (saunf)
- 1 pinch saunth powder
- 1 Tbsp yellow butter
- 100 g thick lotus stems (kamal kakdi)
- Refined oil, for frying
- 250 g fish fillet (basa, pomfret, bekti)
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- Clean and wash kashmiri haaq leaves.
- Boil 3 cups of water in pan and add salt, hing, mustard oil, whole red chillies and cooking soda.
- Add haaq in this boiling water. Simmer for 30 seconds. Keep aside.
- In another pan, heat desi ghee and add whole spices.
- Add walnuts and soaked rice and saute. Cover with water and simmer till pulao is ready.
- For kashmiri butter, mix kashmiri red chilli powder, saunth and saunf powder and butter. Keep it in a fridge.
- Clean and slice lotus root as thin as possible. Deep fry in hot oil till crispy.
- Wash and marinate fish with oyster sauce.
- Heat oil in a pan. Dust fish in cornflour and grill till done.
- Serve hot on a bed of haaq saag along with walnut pulao.
Key Ingredients: Mustard Oil
, Cardamom, Basmati Rice
, Fennel Powder, Fish
, red chilli
, clarified butter
, green cardamom
, kashmiri mirch
, lotus stem
, fish fillet
, oyster sauce