Recipe of Sohan Halwa
Sohan Halwa is a traditional Indian sweet made with maida, milk and dry fruits. Traditionally it is made in circular rounds.
- 1/2 kg sugar
- 1/2 kg cornflour or maida
- 1/4 kg almonds
- 100 gm pistachio
- 50 gm green cardamom
- 1/2 kg ghee
- 1 cup milk
- 2 liters water
- 1 tsp saffron
How to Make Sohan Halwa
- Heat 1 liter water, add sugar and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup milk and boil for 5 minutes.
- Strain it through a muslin bag or thin cloth.
- Add the remaining water and sugar syrup.
- Dissolve 1 tsp saffron in warm water and add.
- Dissolve the cornflour in a little water. Add to the cornflour mixture and cook over low flame.
- When cornflour becomes thick, add 1 tbsp ghee.
- Continue adding ghee (1/2 kg) slowly during cooking to prevent it from sticking to the pan.
- Stir it well. As ghee separates from the mixture, then it is ready.
- Add almonds, pistachio & green cardamoms in it.
- Grease a pan or tray with oil.
- Spread halwa in it & press with a wooden spoon to flatten it.
- Garnish it with almonds, pistachio and cardamoms.
- As it cools down, cut it into pieces and serve.