Vanilla Ice Cream
The all time favorite flavor of ice cream now made at home without an ice cream maker.
- 2 1/2 cups milk-full cream
- 1 Tbsp custard powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 3/4 cups cream
- Cherries or nuts for garnish
- Mix the custard and sugar in half a cup of the milk.
- Heat the rest of the milk and when it comes to a boil, add the custard mixture, and bring to a boil again, stirring continuously.
- When it boils, lower the heat and simmer for a half a minute, shut off the heat and leave to cool.
- When it reaches room temperature, mix in the cream and vanilla essence and transfer on to a container with a tight lid.
- Freeze till almost set take out and whip up in a blender and place back into the freezer in the same container.
- The lid should always be tightly shut, as this avoids crystals from forming.
- Blend once more when almost set and place back in the freezer.
- You can adjust the cooling to normal about two hours after the last blending.
- Serve garnished with the cherries or nuts.
- Alternatively, freeze in an ice cream machine according to instructions.