Blood is the most important fuel required by the body as it helps in transporting nutrients to the cells and ensures smooth functioning of the system by supplying oxygen to various organs of the body. However, you may sometimes develop blood clots that can clog the arteries, further blocking the supply of nutrients to the vital organs. Blood clots are simply amalgamation of red blood cells that build up at the site of injury or due to a particular ailment. In some cases it can be healthy as it stops excessive bleeding in the body, however excessive clotting can be a sign of severe health problems like Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). In simpler terms, blood clot is a blockage of a healthy vessel that may lead to various health problems. A mass of red blood cells clump together and stop the blood flow in the vessel. Blood clots may not just form in one part of the body and can occur any where. Here are some amazing home remedies for blood clot.
Blood Clot Symptoms
Blood clot symptoms may depend on where the clot may be located. Here are the various symptoms of blood clots in different areas of the body-
- Heart- heaviness and pain in the chest, sweating, shortness of breath and discomfort in the upper area of the body
- Lung- sharp chest pain, racing heart, sweating, coughing up blood and shortness of breath
- Leg or arm- excessive pain, swelling, warm feeling in the affected area and cramps
- Abdomen- abdominal pain, diarrhea and vomiting
- Brain- vision issues, difficulty in speaking, severe headache and dizziness
Blood Clot Causes
Blood clots may be caused due to plaque formation in the arteries, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart diseases, cholesterol, internal injuries, obesity, liver diseases, smoking or anemia.
Blood Clot Home Remedies and Natural Treatment
According to Nutritionist and Macrobiotic Health Coach Shilpa Arora, you must avoid inflammatory foods like white breads, cakes, pastries, cookies, refined oil and refined flours. All these foods tend to aggravate inflammation in the body, further causing blood clots.
Here are some home remedies for blood clots that you could probably try.
1. TurmericThe active compound present in turmeric known as curcumin works on the blood platelets to prevent clots. Its medicinal properties can also help in curing the pain caused due to the formation of clots. The bio-active properties of turmeric are said to be attributed to various components isolated from its rhizome. Turmeric acts as an anti-thrombotic or anti-coagulant agent, which involves modulation of numerous factors that aid in the process of clot formation. (Also Read: 5 Home Remedies to Control High Levels of Uric Acid)
The active compound present in turmeric known as curcumin works on the blood platelets
2. GarlicAccording to Nutritionist Shilpa, garlic has sulphur compounds that are known to melt blood clots. Consume one raw garlic clove in the morning for effective results. Garlic works on the smooth muscles of the arteries and causes them to relax and dilate, thereby lowering blood pressure. It also works as a blood thinner, thereby preventing blood clots in patients at risk for clots.
Garlic has sulphur compounds that are known to melt blood clots3. CayenneCayenne peppers are natural blood thinners and have an effective impact on your body due to the presence of salicylates in them. The compound capsaicin present in cayenne helps promote smooth blood circulation and helps prevent blood clots. The compound helps clear away artery-narrowing lipid deposits, and might help dilate arteries and blood vessels to clear away clots and the pain that comes with them. (Also Read: 7 Foods To Increase Blood Platelets)
Cayenne peppers are natural blood thinners and have an effective impact on your body4. Arjun ki ChhaalAccording to Nutritionist Dr. Simran Saini from Fortis Hospital, Arjun ki chhaal or Terminalia Arjuna is a very effective natural blood thinner. All you need to do is take Arjun ki chhaal (bark) and soak it in warm water and drink the water every morning. Arjun ki chhaal promotes a stronger contraction of the heart muscle, allowing the heart to function efficiently. (Also Read: How To Improve Blood Circulation?)
Arjun ki chhaal or Terminalia Arjuna is a very effective natural blood thinner5. Flax Seeds and Chia SeedsThese tiny seeds are full of healthy omega-3 fatty acids that help in preventing blood clots and improve blood circulation. Flaxseeds are said to make platelets, the blood cells involved in clotting, less sticky. In fact, these seeds may reduce the risk of hardening of the arteries. Chia seeds are known to be natural blood thinners. They come packed with essential nutrients, especially omega-3 fatty acids that are good for the heart.
(Also Read: 6 Summer Foods For Managing Blood Pressure)
Omega-3 fatty acids rich seeds are found in seeds including flax seedsA good diet can go a long way in keeping you hale and hearty naturally.