Handvo Recipe: Make this delightful savoury cake with this simple recipe.
Healthy breakfast recipes are found abundantly in regional Indian cooking. There are so many preparations in Indian cuisine that use minimal oil and are still somehow satisfactory to the appetite. A simple homemade poha or a plate of soft, fluffy steamed idlis are only the tip of the iceberg. Gujarati Handvo is one such recipe, which is like a savoury cake often had for breakfast or as a healthy evening snack. We've got a delightful and instant recipe for the dish which involves minimum effort and maximum deliciousness!
Traditionally, the GujaratiHandvo is made using a finely ground batter of urad, chana and yellow moong dal. There is also some rice used in the batter. However, the instant recipe that we have here requires no such ingredients. The original GujaratiHandvo is recreated with the help of a Sooji and Besan-based batter. The batter is lightly sprinkled with assorted vegetables which can also be customised as per season and availability.
(Also Read: 5 Best Gujarati Sweets To Try At Home: From Shrikhand To Mohanthal And More!)
Gujarati cuisine is well-known for many savoury snacks aka 'Farsaan'.
An important cooking tip to note is that the soda must be added right at the end, just before cooking, in order to ensure that the cake rises properly. Further, avoid using too much water in the batter and try to keep it thick. Also, be very careful before flipping the cake in order to prevent it from getting broken from the middle. The recipe involves minimal hassle and can be made instantly on a gas stove without the need of an oven.
Here Is The Full Recipe Of Instant Handvo:
- 3/4 cup Sooji
- 1/2 cup Besan
- 1 cup Curd/Buttermilk
- 1/2 Carrot, grated
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Sweet Corn
- 1 tbsp Ginger, chopped
- 1 Whole Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Soda bi-carb
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red chilli Powder
- Water as required
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp White Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 6-7 Curry Leaves
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan on the stove. Add mustard seeds and let them sputter for a minute on medium flame.
- Now add white sesame seeds and curry leaves to the pan. Let it heat up properly.
- Once the tempering is ready, slowly pour in the Handvo batter into the pan. Spread it out to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the flame to the lowest heat, and let the Handvo cake cook completely with the lid on. Keep a check to see it doesn't burn.
- Now, carefully take the Sooji cake onto a spatula and flip it to the other side. Cover the lid and cook again for a couple of minutes.
- Your handvo is ready! Slowly remove the cake from the pan and let it cool down a little. Serve with fresh mint chutney or sweet tamarind chutney.
So, if you're still thinking of what to make for breakfast - try this wonderful Instant Handvo recipe. You'll be making a second helping very soon.
About Aditi AhujaAditi loves talking to and meeting like-minded foodies (especially the kind who like veg momos). Plus points if you get her bad jokes and sitcom references, or if you recommend a new place to eat at.