This one's for all the idli lovers out there. There is no denying the fact that idli is one of the most healthy foods of all time. Apart from being healthy and nutritious, idli is quite light on the stomach as well and acts as a perfect weight loss-friendly breakfast. However, if you wish to spice the idlis a bit, we're here to help. One ingredient that can add to the flavours of this amazingly healthy delight is podi. Podi is a coarse powder mixture of ground dry spices that typically contains dried chillis, sesame seeds and urad dal. Podi masala is easily available in the market. Idlis tempered with podi masala are perfect for evening snacks and is sure to be loved by people of all age groups. If you wish to impress the picky eaters at home with your culinary skills, give your idlis a twist by making them button-sized. Button idli or mini idli is the best thing you can come up with using the leftover dosa/idli batter.
(Also Read: What Makes Idli The Healthiest Snack We Know!)
Note: Button idlis are prepared in mini idli stands that are easily available in the markets. Just follow the traditional method of making idlis in mini idli stands and you're done. Your kids are going to love this mini version of idlis. Once the idli is prepared, it's time to give it a spicy-twist.
Here's how you can make podi idli in the comforts of your kitchen, that too, in just three easy steps:
Ingredients of Podi Idli:
10-15 button idlis
2 tablespoon ghee
- 3-4 tablespoon podi masala
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Chopped coriander for garnish
Cooking Method of Podi Idli:
1. Place a pan on the stove and add ghee to it. Heat the pan over medium-high flame. Once the ghee is sufficiently hot, add in mustard seeds.
2. Once the mustard seeds start to splutter, add button idlis to the pan. Stir-fry the idlis for a few seconds and add in the podi masala.
3. Mix all the ingredients well so that each piece of idli gets evenly coated in the podi mix. Once this is done, transfer the dish on a serving plate and garnish with chopped coriander.
(Also Read: Magical Benefits of Fermented Foods Like Yogurt, Idli or Dhokla)
This podi idli recipe is sure to impress your guests. Pair this delight with a piping hot cup of tea or filter coffee and you're done for the day.