"Moringa seeds are obtained from the pods of the Moringa plant (Moringa Oleifera) or the drumstick tree, native to Northern India. Fresh and raw moringa seeds are quite tender, but as soon as they get dried, they become hard and start to resemble small beans. They are greyish-white in colour with unique wing-like structures. They can be steamed, boiled or roasted for various purposes," says Dr. Divya Choudhary, Chief Dietitian, Max Super Speciality Hospital. According to Dr. Manoj K. Ahuja, Fortis Hospital, Vasant Kunj, "Moringa is a nutrient-dense plant that is rich in vitamins, calcium, iron and essential amino acids. It can benefit the body in a number of ways." Widely known as “drumstick tree” in India, moringa goes by different names in different countries and regions. It is known as ‘Sahijan’ in Hindi, “Munaga’ in Telugu, ‘Murungai’ in Tamil. The Tagalog name in the Philippines is ‘Mulunggay’, which sounds very similar to ‘Moringa’. There are many moringa seeds benefits that you should know.
Here are 10 health benefits of moringa seeds:
1. Improves Sleep"Steep moringa leaves in hot water for 15 minutes and drink it before you go to bed for a good night's rest. It helps you slip into slumber at night, and in turn will leave you energised to tackle the day," says Dr. Choudhary, Max Hospital.
Moringa seeds help you slip into slumber at night, and in turn will leave you energised to tackle the day.
2. High in Fiber"Moringa seeds are high in fibre, and help in moving food along your digestive system," says Delhi-based Nutritionist Anshul Jaibharat.
3. Regulate Blood Sugar LevelsDr. Ahuja says, "Moringa seeds are a great source of zinc and can regulate blood sugar levels which can help manage or even prevent diabetes."
Moringa seeds are a great source of zinc.
4. Great Source of Iron"Did you know that a single serving of moringa has almost three times the amount of iron as spinach? This is especially important for vegetarians/vegans or those who suffer from low iron issues, as the body needs iron to enrich the blood and carry oxygen to our muscles, organs and tissues," adds Dr. Choudhary.
5. Reduces Joint PainDr. Ashutosh Gautam, Clinical Operations and Coordination Manager at Baidyanath says, "Moringa seeds make for a great supplement of calcium and help those suffering from joint pain. They help in reducing inflammation and severe bone disorders like arthritis."
Moringa seeds make for a great supplement of calcium and help those suffering from joint pain.
Moringa seeds are well known for their anti-carcinogenic effects.
The antioxidant properties of moringa seeds can take care of our overall health.
Moringa seeds are packed with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties.