How do You Open a Bottle of Champagne Safely?
Sommelier India | Updated: August 08, 2014 14:25 IST
The last thing you want to do is look clumsy when you're opening a bottle of Champagne this holiday season. Not only will your friends snicker but you may also lose a lot of good Champagne in the process. Here are the basic steps to remember when you have a bottle in your hand.
1. Firstly, begin by removing the foil covering the Champagne bottle. In olden times the foil was used to prevent mice from biting into the cork. Now it exists more for the style than anything else.
2. Once the foil is removed, put your thumb on top of the cork to prevent it from shooting into the sky before you're ready. Remember to keep the cork pointed in a safe direction.
3. Next comes the undoing of the wire cage. The cage is used to prevent the cork from popping out until you're ready. Remember to keep one thumb on the cork as you do this.
4. Now that the cage is off, put a towel over the cork. This will prevent things from getting messy and it makes it easier to grip the cork.
5. Hold the cork in one hand under the base of the towel and the bottle in the other. Gently and slowly turn the bottle while holding the cork still. Your goal should be to have the cork ease of with a soft "whoof" rather than a pop.
6. Once you've eased the cork off, pour the Champagne immediately. You don't want to lose the bubbles. Slide the towel around the neck of the bottle as you begin pouring.
That's it! Simple and straightforward. Don't forget to raise a toast once everyone's glasses are filled. One of my favorite toasts is -May your troubles be less
and your blessings be more
and nothing but happiness
come through the door
For the latest food news, health tips and recipes, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and YouTube.