How to make Aamti
Recipe Servings: 2
Total Cook Time:
Difficulty Level: Easy
About Aamti: An appetizing Maharashtrian style dal made with yellow gram dal. Tempered with chillies, garam masala, curry leaves and mustard seeds.
Ingredients of Aamti
- 1/2 cup yellow gram dal
- 1 stalk curry leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 Tbsp coriander finely chopped
- 1 tsp black maharashtrian masala (use paav bhaji masala or goda masala)
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp coriander seed
- Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 6-7 kokams soaked in 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tbsp oil or ghee
- 1/2 tsp each cumin & mustard seeds
How to Make Aamti
- 1.1. Wash and soak daal for 15 minutes. Then pressure cook it till very soft (4 whistles).
- 2.2. Cool cooker and remove drain water from daal and save.
- 3.3. Knead the kokams between fingers. Then press out and remove.
- 4.4. Keep the water aside. Then grind daal to a fine paste either on stone or in a mixie.
- 5.5. Mix with water and residual water of daal. Blend well till smooth.
- 6.6. Heat oil in a deep saucepan. Add seeds, curry leaves, allow to splutter.
- 7.7. Add slit chillies, cloves, bay leaf, and saute for one minute.
- 8.8. Add kokam water. Make paste of masalas in 1/4 cup water.
- 9.9. Add paste, fry further for one minute. Add daal, bring to a boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- 10.10. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.
Key Ingredients: 1/2 cup yellow gram dal, 1 stalk curry leaves, 1 bay leaf, 3 cloves, 2 green chillies, 1/2 Tbsp coriander finely chopped, 1 tsp black maharashtrian masala (use paav bhaji masala or goda masala), 1/4 tsp garam masala, 1/4 tsp coriander seed, Turmeric powder, Salt to taste, 6-7 kokams soaked in 1/2 cup water, 4 cups water, 1 Tbsp oil or ghee, 1/2 tsp each cumin & mustard seeds