Asparagus and Crab Meat soup Recipe
Flavorsome soup made with shallots, crab meat, asparagus and seasoned mildly.
- Total Cook Time1 hr 05 mins
- Prep Time 20 mins
- Cook Time 45 mins
- Recipe Servings6
Ingredients of Asparagus and Crab Meat soup
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tsp of nuoc mam (Vietnamese fish sauce)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 shallots - chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - chopped
- 8 ounces lump crab meat - picked over and drained
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot - mixed with 2 tbs cold water
- 1 egg - lightly beaten
- 15 oz white asparagus spears
- 1 Tbsp shredded coriander
- 1 scallion - thinly sliced, cut into 1 inch sections with canning liquid reserved
How to Make Asparagus and Crab Meat soupHideShow Media
Combine broth, 1 tablespoon of the fish sauce, sugar and salt in a 3 quart soup pot. Bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer. Heat the oil in a skillet and dd the shallots and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant.
Add the crab meat, the remaining 2 teaspoons fish sauce and black pepper to taste.
Stir fry over high heat for about 1 minute then set aside. Bring the soup to a boil.
Add the cornstarch mixture and stir gently until the soup thickens and is clear.
While the soup is boiling, add the egg and stir gently, continue to stir for about 1 minute.
Add the crab meat mixture and asparagus with its canning liquid and cook gently until heated through.
Transfer the soup to a heated tureen.
Sprinkle on the coriander, scallion and freshly ground black pepper.