How to make Flax Seed and Beetroot Modak
About Flax Seed and Beetroot Modak Recipe: Celebrate the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi with this delicious dish of modak at home. Modak is a traditional Indian sweet that is most popularly prepared on this festival as an offering to Lord Ganesha, who loved the sweet. Here is a modak recipe packed with the goodness of beetroot and flaxseeds along with a stuffing of coconut, poppy seeds, jaggery, cardamom and nutmeg.
Ingredients of Flax Seed and Beetroot Modak
- 1 1/2 Cups rice flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp oil (for greasing)
- 60 gms beetroot puree
- Tossed flax seeds (for topping)
- For stuffing:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh coconut, grated
- 1 cup jaggery, grated
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds, roasted
- A pinch of green cardamom powder
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
How to Make Flax Seed and Beetroot Modak
- 1.Heat one and one-fourth cups of water with salt and one teaspoon oil in a deep non-stick pan.
- 2.Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and add the rice flour in a steady flow, stirring continuously to prevent lumps from forming.
- 3.Cover the pan with a deep lid and pour some water into the lid. Cook on low heat for three minutes. (Now add required flavour to the dough like saffron, beetroot, spinach or pista puree)
- 4.Remove the lid, sprinkle some cold water on the rice flour and cover again with the lid.
- 5.Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and add the rice flour in a steady flow, stirring continuously to prevent lumps from forming water in it; cook for another three minutes.
- 6.Repeat this process twice more. Take the pan off the heat and keep it covered for two minutes.
- 7.Transfer the mixture to a large plate, grease the palms of your hands with oil and knead the dough till completely smooth and pliable. The dough should not stick to your palms. Rest the dough covered with a damp cloth.
- 8.For the stuffing, combine the coconut and jaggery in a non-stick pan and cook on medium heat for one or two minutes till light golden brown. Make sure that you do not overcook the mixture.
- 9.Add the roasted poppy seeds, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder, and divide the dough into twelve equal portions and shape them into balls.
- 10.Grease the palms of your hands and spread each ball to form a three-inch bowl. Press the edges of the bowls to reduce the thickness.
- 11.Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre; pleat the edges of the dough and gather them together to form a bundle. Pinch to seal the edges at the top.
- 12.Heat sufficient water in a steamer. Place the modak on a perforated plate in the steamer and steam for ten to twelve minutes.
- 13.Serve hot modak with pure ghee.
Key Ingredients: rice flour, salt, oil (for greasing), beetroot puree, Tossed flax seeds (for topping), fresh coconut, jaggery, poppy seeds, green cardamom powder, nutmeg powder